Eve online

mrcheese

Obliviot
Anyone play this but me?

Rather fun space game, massive universe to explore.

Best way to sum it up - Elite online.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Never played it, but they will be releasing a free expansion pack to it in the coming months.. maybe sooner.

How populated are the worlds?

Welcome to the forums!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I played it for about 2 months... The game was quite boring to me.

I'm more of a twitch style gamer when it comes to piloting a space fighter... I mean piloting a fighter while it auto targets something is just well... boring to me... The most exciting feature to me was being able to buy a new ship, and as I looked at some of the "better" ships... well they wernt very apealing to the asthetic side of me.

The days I played bassically consisted of me mining, upgrading my ship, mining some more, upgrading my ship some more, making a few cargo runs across systems... only to mine more and upgrade my ship. Oh and on my last day... I was mining in my most expensive ship only to be blown to smitheriens by a pirate who then told me "tough luck" and salvaged everything. I was left to return to where my shuttle was parked. Kinda sucked...

If you want a free twitch based space MMO, freespace was the best I ever found.

Oh and don't ever tell an Eve online player that EVE sux... They are so bent on making everyone believe that the only game more grind intensive than lineage 2 is the best game ever, they might try to track you down and shoot you. (I speak from experiance)

U

Unregistered

eve-online

well.. played the game for nearly a year now. It is the first online game i've enjoyed.

Granted it does take lots of time to get stuff working, and you can't really expect to get much done in the game for the first few months, unless you join a corp (guild).

I would recommend the game to everyone that wants a simulation, not only of fighting/grinding but also a very impressive in-game market, which everyone can participate in.

If anybody joins it, I would really recommend joining a corporation and play as a team, not as a solo player.. Can't really understand why people enjoy this game solo

tarsier

Obliviot
Seeing things through a knothole

madstork91 said:
I played it for about 2 months... The game was quite boring to me.

The days I played bassically consisted of me mining, upgrading my ship, mining some more, upgrading my ship some more, making a few cargo runs across systems... only to mine more and upgrade my ship. Oh and on my last day... I was mining in my most expensive ship only to be blown to smitheriens by a pirate who then told me "tough luck" and salvaged everything. I was left to return to where my shuttle was parked. Kinda sucked...

Eve can be an incredibly time consuming hassle to 'get to x'. There are players in the game that have been there for years and have the skills and abiity to well...be gods. They dominate huge sectors of space, bringn people trembling to their knees, build stations, economic empires and even make a decent supplemental income on the external market. But if you joing the game today and want to be a god tomorrow, you're going to hate EVE.

Eve is not an autotargeting game. In PVP you are doing anything but autotargeting if you want to stay alive. Most of the better fighters/pirates/anti-pirates have a knack for mathematics and understand the mechanics of tranversal effects on targeting, and are making speed, distance, opponent strength calculations in their head on the fly and adjusting ammo, guns and tactics continuously.

If you try eve....pay your dues...train your learning skills up off the bat, attach yourself as soon as you can to a corp as a fighter if that is what you want and don't get out of frigate size (basic to elite) maybe....ever. Elite frigates can take down cruisers and battleships if they know how to fly and have real pilots. You don't get there over night, you don't get there with a chip on your shoulder, and you don't get there alone.

The best part of Eve is pvp fleet battles. Specializing in tackling, scrambling, ganking, projecting, pirating etc....can make your time in eve a bit of poetry.

We have four accounts and 12 characters among us. But fair warning. You really can't support more than one character for a very long time. It takes too much time to train and you have to keep your training going 24/7, one character at a time. Also do not under any circumstances create your own corporation as soon as you have the minimum skills and isk. It takes a community to grow a good fighter.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Welcome to the forums Tarsier!

Four accounts? You really are a fan. One of these days I will have to still give this one a go.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Join a corp to survive? what ever happened to the solo spirit of someone like Han Solo? (not saying I wanna be him, but hey im just saying I like the idea of no strings attached)

DON'T TIE ME DOWN!

On the non auto targeting bit though... so your saying you personally click or hit a button to fire your guns while in a dogfight? As a I recall it, you selected the target, selected fire, and then it kept shooting untill the target was destroyed. Yeah... so much skill involved in that... Maybe the piloting while in a dog fight takes skill, no argument there, its still a freeflight game, Right? wait you point and click? huh? no joystick or pov mouse? ok... maybe the "math" is where the skill lies... but then again if I were any better at "math" right now I'd already have a graduate degree in physics... (I'm a buisness major.) EVE Online + Me = Math + Grinding + bound to corp => not my cup of tea.