ET: Quake Wars Linux Demo Client Released

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It's no secret, Linux users suffer with a blatant lack of games on their OS. I say "blatant", because it seems a lot of game developers deliberately shun the alternative OS, even though most game engines work just fine. id Software is one of the few who actively support Linux, and we love them for it. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is no different, with a Linux client of the demo just released. Sadly, the full client is not yet available, but it should be in no time.

Despite owning the game already for Windows, I gave the demo a quick download to test on my Linux machine. I have to say, I am very impressed with how well it runs! I'm using a single core AMD at 2.7GHz with an NVIDIA 7800GT card and at 1680x1050 High Detail, the game ran fantastic! You can see a screenshot from my quick test below. According to the folks at Phoronix, an Unreal Tournament 3 Linux demo client should be available soon as well. Finally, Linux users are getting more reason to game it up!

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table>
However, we will say that with using NVIDIA's GeForce 7 or GeForce 8 hardware it had ran well for us internally during the internal beta. Using ATI's Radeon X1000 and HD 2000 series graphics cards with the fglrx 8.41 driver and later have also played great on ET:QW. Another thing to keep in mind is that Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is threaded well and will really shine on multi-core machines.

Source: Phoronix