ESRB Could Fine Publishers $1m

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ESRB president Patricia Vance (pictured) told the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade and Consumer Protection, "After a game ships, if disclosure is found to have been incomplete, recent enhancements to the ESRB enforcement system will soon allow for the imposition of fines up to $1 million.

The ESRB to me, is a completely bullshit company. The part that annoys me the most is this:

She pointed out that the length of today's games makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for the ESRB to experience all games completely.

Last I checked, the major complaint with todays games is that they are far shorter than previous gen. Either way, this is a company that rates games based on what the companies document? How difficult can that be?

Example: "Hmm, ok... they list a graphic sex scene in here. M rating."

Example: "No swearing, but a little drug use and minor cursewords. T rating"

Example: "Oh, a disney game. E rating."

Example: "Damn that's a huge gun on the cover of the game. M rating!"

Example: "Paris Hilton has a cell phone game? Ok then, AO rating."

It's obvious... all they need is a single reason for a specific rating, and that's it. If a single aspect warrants an M, that's exactly what the game receives, regardless of what else is in there. Just how difficult is this? Clearly, I could guess the rating of a game just by looking at the damn cover, yet they get paid tons of cash for it. Now, they can majorly sue a company if they 'forget' to include mention of certain content in the game, because clearly the ESRB won't find it because they don't PLAY the games.

That's like us reviewing products based on pictures!

Why do people put faith in the ESRB when they don't even PLAY THE DAMN GAMES. What am I missing here? I could be looking at this entirely wrong, but I can't see it. Clue me in people.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3226&Itemid=2

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I bet she's unmarried, and has no kids. If she was she'd realized how silly the company is. It's kinda like the TV rating system here in the US. Little symbols to tell the people watching, it's rating. Which... won't stop anyone from watching something that's not appropriate for their age. Just something to shut up the people who have found their kids with a mature game, when they're like.. 4. I know kids around that age who have Vice City (I'm serious) and their parents bought them the game. So how much good is the ESRB doing? Not a single bit...

leecho7

Partition Master
It's just like the MPAA, the guys who decide which movies are rated R, PG-13 etc.
If you don't have the money, like Sony Pictures/Dreamworks/Disney/Paramount etc, to pay the MPAA, expect to recieve a more strict rating than other movies. I've seen independent movies that recieved R ratings because of mild language and subject matter. If the same film were to be released through one of the big dog publishers, than I can guarantee the film would have gotten a less strict rating. But that's reserved for movies like American Pie, Basic Instinct 2, and so on.
I remember many people blamed violent video games that caused the massacre at Columbine high school, and many other tragic events. Grand Theft Auto sold almost 10million copies in the US alone.
I don't see 10 million people running out the streets and shooting at passing cars.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
leecho7 said:
I've seen independent movies that recieved R ratings because of mild language and subject matter. If the same film were to be released through one of the big dog publishers, than I can guarantee the film would have gotten a less strict rating.

I never knew that before. Interesting, but sad.

ddrmaniacaaa

Obliviot
The people that rate the videogames are "soccer mom" volenteers who rate the game soley based on a 5 minite video sent in by the developers. This video is supposed to contain "the games most subjective material" but if you have ever played GTA:San Andreas You will see why this is not a good idea.