eBay Updates its Logo for First Time in 17 Years

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Microsoft updated its logo last month after having used the same one for 25 years, and this month, eBay is getting in on the action. The company has been using the same bounce-letter logo since its inception 17 years ago, but as the e-commerce giant looks to the future, a logo update should help freshen its image. The new logo looks more professional; it's clean and modern, with no playing around with the letter placements. As simple as it is, I think it looks good.

ebay_straight_logo_091412.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

madmat

Soup Nazi
Interestingly, eBay's article about the logo update mentions that there are more "Buy It Now!" listings of new items on its site than any other. It's clear that eBay has expanded to something far beyond a simple way to sell your used stuff.

And that right there is what is going to kill fleabay. If I want new stuff I'll hit up Amazon or any of the other recognized (and MFG approved) etailers out there. There are more MFG's than I can name that offer NO warranty on product purchased on eBay. The reason being is that (according to them) there is a lot of product on there that left the OEM's they use via the side door and as such, they haven't made a dime on it.

If you buy from an authorized e-dealer you don't have that headache. In short, if I'm buying stuff with no warranty I damn well am not paying a new price for it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Good point on the warranty front. I generally don't pay too much attention to those, and I do buy some things from eBay. I only buy from big reputable sellers if I can help it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Good point on the warranty front. I generally don't pay too much attention to those, and I do buy some things from eBay. I only buy from big reputable sellers if I can help it.

That's a good rule to follow. There are some etailers that sell on ebay which is good since there's still a warranty but in general, for big ticket stuff, I prefer to just buy from a retail site. Better safe than sorry.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just go to eBay because prices are often cheaper. A new Kill-a-Watt that would have cost $37 at Newegg with shipping cost me $26 on eBay the other day. Bought simple Logitech mic also for $25, which I've paid $40 for on Newegg before.

Maybe there isn't a warranty, but my stuff usually dies -after- that expires anyway heh.