DVI cable not allowing monitors full resolution...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey all,

I recently picked up two DVI-D / DVI-D cables, because I had the DVI-I / DVI-I cable die on me, that I use to connect my benching PC to my television.

At any rate, I received the cables today, and the PC connected to the PC works no problem, but the other one connecting to my standard 17" LCD does not. The problem is, it forces 1024 * 768 even though 1280*1024 is the monitors native resolution.

So, when I choose 1280, the entire screen goes blank and I have to wait for the video driver to reset itself. Is there any reason for this? The monitor supports digital output (or so I thought), but it seems the lack of the analog pins is forcing the wrong resolution.

Thanks!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
A solution to this might actually help me... the default resolution for my monitor/tv is that 1028x700 something crap... so everytime i install or run something new i have to change it manually. Sometimes i get the same error. So im stuck in an unwanted high def setting. :(

I just gave up on finding a solution when i googled to no avail, but if someone knows something... :D you would win a free @ sign designated as a cookie. Maybe more than one ;-)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, it's rather annoying. I am glad the cable works for my TV no problem, but I bought two so that I could use it on my main rig.

Your problem sounds similar though... Check your cable to see if it's a DVI-I or DVI-D. DVI-I is probably -not- what it is... it in addition to the regular pins, has the little notch, and then four pins around it. DVI-D doesn't have those additional pins, which is used for Analog only.