Duke Nukem Movie in Initial Planning Stages

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I'll admit that I am not a huge movie buff, nor do I care about movies based off of games, but I'm willing to make an exception for this one. According to Kotaku, a Duke Nukem movie is in the works, but we are in the very early stages now, so don't expect it to hit the big screen anytime soon. As it stands, the story is actively being written and no movie studio is currently involved.

One might say that there isn't a movie en route then, and to that, I say tu shay. But, I think it suffices to say that we might very-well be seeing some great video game movie-adaptions on the way, starting with Max Payne, which even I can admit looks entirely cool. The fact is that a Duke movie should be even better. We already know full well that 3D Realms are perfectionists...

As with most game movies though, Duke is going to be a rough one to transfer. He has such a unique style, and his mannerisms just aren't going to work well in a movie with a direct copy/paste. That's what worries me. Duke is unique, but doesn't fit well outside of a game. It almost feels like there is no "right way" to handle it. I'm willing to be proven wrong though, and still can't wait for this one, despite it being years off.

duke_nukem_forever_movie_090908.jpg

"With the two new games coming out based on Duke Nukem, I'm working at establishing a Duke film scenario that will compel a studio to finance a feature version," said Faye. "Certainly, there's a large audience that knows and loves this character." Faye said he's still actively developing the story and he will not shop the film in Hollywood until all the people involved in the project feel solid about where we are creatively.

Source: Kotaku