Dual core shoot-out: Intel versus AMD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In regards to the front page news posting, what do you think of the comparison between the D and X2? As I mentioned in the post, I'm very impressed to see the X2 3800+ keep right up to the Pentium D EE in some tests, considering the EE costs $700 more.

I do with that the article also included max overclock comparisons as well though.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Since my first AMD processor a k6-2 300MHz I realized that this almost unheard of company (to me) really had proven themselves worthy. After learning more about computers and their architecture, I found that AMD had a great performance value over Intel with a lower pricetag. I think that article is great and just proves that the architecture is a cut above. Nice find!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hah, I hear you man. My first AMD was a K6 333MHz, but did it ever kick ass! It ran WinXP like a dream, even on 256MB of ram!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Yeah that 300 rocked until I was given the 450. I ran Quake III and UT GOTY with it just fine. I

I think the saddest thing I've ever done was put WinXP on a 233MHz P1 with probably 96MB ram. My dad's company is to cheap to upgrade their computers yet they want to use the lates wireless technology. I feel so bad for my dad having to put up with the performance of that pc.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Well he's gotten to the point he brings most of his work home to where I've built from extra parts, a AMD 900MHz system 160MB ram and his old hd out of a EMachines they bought, and a Voodoo3 3500. It's all put together inside a Gateway case (how ironic?).
I built the company a new pc just a few months ago. AMD 64 3200+ ATI 9600 128Mb and 1GB memory. It's a CAD machine so I the extra memory and faster processor was needed. I put that together for less than $800. He had given me estimates from Dell and a few local pc shops and I literally laughed at the quotes. I beat them all out by at least $200.
It's amazing how just a few hours of research can save you hundreds of dollars off of a new system.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Jakal said:
I put that together for less than $800. He had given me estimates from Dell and a few local pc shops and I literally laughed at the quotes. I beat them all out by at least $200.
It's amazing how just a few hours of research can save you hundreds of dollars off of a new system.

Yeah that's what I tell everyone considering a new PC...especially when I hear someone considering an "enthusiast" gaming PC that has an Intel processor... They end up paying up, and miss out on the AMD euphoria that would have followed had they spent some time researching, price shopping, and building. Saves many hundreds of dollars..
I sometimes analogyze this with pure jasmine tea and the 'ordinary' jasmine tea. The pure tea has nothing but jasmine flower buds while the ordinary one is a mix of generic green tea leaves with enough jasmine flower to cover it up. The ordinary one actually tastes really good, but once you've had the pure goodness, the difference is readily apparent. If you know where to get them, the price is just a tad bit higher for the pure one, but there is indeed a greater bang for the buck!

CoolZone

Obliviot
intel started to suck because they did not upgrade the architecture in prescott and they did not even integrate the mem controller into the cpu.

Worldstar

Obliviot
Rob Williams said:
Hah, I hear you man. My first AMD was a K6 333MHz, but did it ever kick ass! It ran WinXP like a dream, even on 256MB of ram!

My first AMD was a K6-2 400 MHZ. I was able to overclock it to 500 MHZ!! It sure the heck bet the options from Intel at that time.