Dreamcast 2 in the works?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
SEGA Corporation has filed a new application to protect the trademark Dreamcast - sparking rumours that the Japanese publisher is planning on making a shock return to the console manufacturing market with the Dreamcast 2.

The application, sent to the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Applications and Registrations Retrieval (TARR) dated August 13 2007, relates to:

"Home video game machines; player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; video game interactive controller, namely, hand held pads, and floor pads or mats; joysticks for video games; computer cursor control devices, namely, computer mouse; flash memory cards; video game software, computer game programs".

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-12-2007-7049.html

As much as I am a huge fan of the original Dreamcast (it might be my favorite console of all time), the release of a "Dreamcast 2" seems highly unlikely to me. Sega's been out of the console scheme of things for too many years now and would have a difficult time releasing a fresh console. As if the market is not saturated enough - imagine needing to choose between four different consoles, or having to purchase them all.

That said, I'd still be stoked to see a new console release from the Sega camps, but it would be incredibly difficult for them to pull off. At least they would have the financial backing to proceed with such a move. If anything became of this, I have a feeling that the "Dreamcast 2" would be a console put more in line with the Wii, and not a higher-end console like the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

Thoughts?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
What? Games could be "fun" again?

Im down for that. Where do I reserve the console?

On another note, sega was known for pushing the graphics. Something sony does now.

Analyze that statement the way you wish.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This would be great news but I am leaning towards the idea that it's highly unlikely. The Dreamcast is right up there with the original XBOX and the N64 as my favorite consoles of all time. Oh how I miss thee Dreamcast.

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
I'd agree that it is highly unlikely they would be making a D2, but one could only hope. As I've said before Sega was by far one of the best platform produces out there while I was growing up. I played the Saturn to death and the Dreamcast was no exception. They had excellent games, and not just mediocre titles. I'm talking RPG's, and let's face it those are pretty much a commodity of the Playstation now. You may get a few titles for the other platforms, but the majority stay with the PS2/PS3. The only reason I'd contemplate even owning a PS3 is for the fact that it will likely be the platform who releases RPG titles... and I gotta have my RPG's. ^^

I honestly wish Sega would throw their resources back into a system. Four systems on the market? Why not. It offers variety, and of course with variety comes competition, cheaper prices. But it wont' happen. *sigh* It makes me sad.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Dreamcast was great all-around for titles from all genres. I can list games from every genre that kicked serious ass. Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia were so good that they were ported to other consoles after the fact. Elemental Gimmick Gear was another that I liked, but I don't recall ever beating it.

I should stop myself before I start. I think I could write up a ten page article on kick-ass Dreamcast games.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
1) With playstation's struggling market... Id doubt they would like a 3rd alternative to their system. >:)

2) If the playstation had RPG games they would still follow the shitty trend that rpg games have been taking. More cut scenes. Less world maps. Linear progression. Enjoy your rail game.

3) Other than FFXIII what RPG's?