Do you keep your PC overclocked?

Do you keep a stable overclock all the time?

• Yes, if it's stable, there is no sense to go back to stock!

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Yes, because I -do- need the performance boost.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • No, I like to preserve the life of my CPU.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I overclock only when I need the extra speed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't think it's much of a secret... we love to overclock. In fact, the sad fact is that most of us overclock first thing, post-install. We don't care about the performance at stock... we want to see how far we can push the thing and hope we don't break something :-D

So the question I have is... when you find a sweet spot for your overclock, do you always keep it at stock? The truth is... most people who overclock their machines, don't need it overclocked, as they primarily do mundane things with their PC's that generally doesn't benefit from an overclock.

But once again, it's all about the numbers... perhaps it has nothing to do with the performance. So do you keep a stable overclock active at all times?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If I have a machine on, then it is folding. Even during gaming I leave four instances of F@H running in the background. I don't often do benchmarks, but when I do I certainly want that overclock to edge up the scores...

I always keep it overclocked, especially since I can leave it at stock volts. Right now my watercooling setup isn't installed so I'm back at stock, the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro just doesn't handle a Q6600 G0 well even at a miserly 1.20v.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Yup....Both of them
Once I find the sweet spot, it stays there

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
E6600 @ 3.0 GHz 24/7. I bench anywhere between 3.6 and 3.8 GHz but that not what your asking is it. Yes, mine is overclocked all the time. Modest, but not stock either.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Haven't OC'd the new one yet, but the previous on was/is over clocked 24/7 for over 4 years....

You had quite possibly the best CPU for simple, free performance through overclocking ever. The Barton core 2500+ CPUs were epic as long as you had a motherboard that supported the higher FSB.

Krazy K

Partition Master
All the time. I run BOINC and do work for SETI and the more I get done the sooner Joe Rogan and I will find those little green men that congress keeps talking about.

madmat

Soup Nazi
24/7 baybeeee! I turn off the monitor via the vid card when it's idle but I don't see any need for anything more. I wish that you could run cool'n'quiet when you OC but it's very hit or miss at best.

But, no I'm not rebooting each time I want to do something demanding. The jump from 2.1Ghz to 3Ghz is too much to just do without.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
My Sweet spot
3.7 @ 418 fsb @ 27*c

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Thanks to the inability of ANY motherboard maker to build a decent budget AM2+ motherboard to support the 9850BE I don't even get to overclock. I am saving my pennies for the ABIT AV78 which is able to atleast run my CPU stock without the chance of implosion.....

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The other sweet spot 64 bit

Last edited: