Discuss: Altec Lansing XT1 Notebook Speakers

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"You think just because you have a Notebook PC, that you have to have poor sound? Altec Lansing disagrees, and they prove it with their XT1 Notebook Speaker set. Read on to see how they perform."

Check out the review here, and then feel free to comment or ask questions here!

xt1_laptop_speakers.jpg

madstork91

The One, The Only...
There were more cons in your review than in your final conclusion. Were the problems mentioned briefly not really that annoying?

(windows sound being used)

These look great!

Can these speakers be used in compliment to a sound system?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There were more cons in your review than in your final conclusion.

Yes, some cons throughout the review didn't warrant it a mention in the end. For instance, The sound doesn't sound awesome in Linux as it does Windows, but that's because it's not supposed to sound great in Linux, and that's why it's unsupported.

Also, the other minor gripes I had, such as the volume control would not bother the majority of people, but it's something I mentioned. Was there another con that I missed?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
None that i can tell but I do have a question or two.

How easy is it to leave the speakers in their carrying case and still have them connected? If you dont feel like taking the out and standing them up this would be a great thing.

When using the aux mode, if you use the valume controls on the speakers do they still adjust windows sound? does that affect the Aux sound as well?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"How easy is it to leave the speakers in their carrying case and still have them connected?"

I am not entirely sure what you mean by that. Do you mean during travel, can you leave the cords connected? You are unable, because they stick out too far, then you cannot close the case.

Yes, when you have Auxiliary plugged in, the volume control still controls the Windows volume, and yes, it affects the Aux sound as well.

If you are using an MP3 player for instance, you can turn down the volume down all the way on the player, and it will not affect the speakers volume for Windows. So if you are say, playing music off your MP3 player, and playing a game, turning down your MP3 player volume will not affect the games volume.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I mean during travel can you leave them in their carrying case wile having your laptop set up and running. Is there enough room to use them while they are still in the case?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not really. The case is meant to be as compact as possible, so when you have everything in there, you would have a hard time fitting a quarter in there, hehe.

Why would you leave them in the case though?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
if you have your laptop with you in the car you might not have the perfect place to set up some speakers but you can always throw the case with em in the passenger seat...

There are alot of other examples...

youre in the park on a nice day and all you have is either side of the bench your sititng on... etc.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Lol..

If that's the case, you would use headphones, at least I would. And driving and having laptop going.. not good unless you are a cop :p

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Lol i meant while wating in a parking lot beacuase youre early for a meeting or they are late... (something that actually happens to me quite often)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, makes sense to me, lol.

If you keep the case open, it could likely be done, but might not be the easiest thing to pull.

U

Unregistered

Got a pair about 3 weeks ago, very impressed with build quality and sound quality.

They will be useful as powered speakers for my MP3 player using the aux input and a power supply I have that terminates in a miniUSB

Peter Johnson

recommended

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Right on, glad you like them! I still have mine kicking around, and take them whenever I hit the road. Good stuff for sure.