Disaster Struck? Grab SystemRescueCD!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Ever have a show-stopping computer problem, reformatted your machine, and then later realized that you could have fixed it with a rescue CD? That sucks, but it doesn't have to happen again with the SystemRescueCD, a Gentoo-based Linux distribution that's sole purpose is to help you get your rig back up and running.

Of course, it's not just used for restoring Linux machines, but it can handle Windows as well... even Vista. It helps if you have basic software knowledge, as file editing may come into play, but there are other tools that might take that burden off of your hands. The distro also includes GParted, so that you can create new partitions outside of your OS. I've never used SystemRescueCD before, but the folks at DesktopLinux urges everyone to give it a download. I've done so while writing this post. You never know when disaster will strike...

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
sysreqcd_100807.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
If you're a Windows user, don't let the fact that this is a Linux-based repair tool keep you away. SystemRescueCD has long excelled at repairing Windows systems. With new support for the Vista “Offline NT Password & Registry Editor” and improved support for NTFS drives, SystemRescueCD is better than ever for what ails your Windows PCs.

Source: DesktopLinux

Linux user or not, this is a very handy tool by the looks of things. I haven't given it a try yet, but I burned it and put it with my other discs. I am almost waiting for a computer to break just so I can give it a go...