DeviceVM Brings Splashtop to Lenovo Netbooks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It's been quite a year for DeviceVM, to say the least. We first discovered their product by way of visiting ASUS' booth at January's CES, and have continued to follow it as it grows. Splashtop, for the uninitiated, is an "instant-on" Linux-based OS that's designed to allow quick access to common computer uses, like chat, Internet browsing, online Flash games, photos, et cetera.

We found out this past May just how much potential ASUS saw in the product, as they announced that the software would be installed on all forthcoming ASUS motherboards. That's a bold move, and one that surprised pretty-much everyone I'm sure. Well, things haven't slowed down much for DeviceVM, and they today announce a partnership with Lenovo to carry the OS on their S9e and S10e netbooks. Note that this doesn't replace the original OS... it's a supplement.

At first I didn't really see the point of having Splashtop on a netbook, given they are simplistic already, but I realized that having an even faster OS is going to be a good thing. If Windows takes two minutes to fully boot and Splashtop takes 10 seconds, it's probably going to be an easy choice in this age of PC impatience. It doesn't help that both the Lenovo netbook and Splashtop software looks fantastic. I almost want one...

lenovo_s10e_netbook_102708.jpg

With Splashtop, IdeaPad S9e and S10e users can surf the web, check email, chat online or video conference seconds after turning on their netbooks, all without starting a traditional operating system. Splashtop is branded as Lenovo "QuickStart" on the IdeaPad S9e and S10e. The netbooks are based on the Intel Atom processor.