Dell UltraSharp 2707WFP 27-inch Wide-Screen

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In the market for a big widescreen monitor, but find 24" too small and 30" too big? Dell has you covered with their 27" 2707WFP. Like their 2407WFP, this monitor offers 1920x1200 with a 6ms GTG and has a brushed aluminum look that's unique to their entire lineup.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Looks like a solid monitor. I was hooked at CES with the design of the monitor and it looks right at home on your bench. The price is about right too. Solid review!

MacMan

Partition Master
Great Monitor, but I was wondering...

Hey great article on what appears to be a really great monitor, however, I was wondering one thing? My 20-inch Samsung that I will, hopefully, upgrade soon has me really spoiled rotten. The 2 mm response time and the 2000:1 contrast ratio has me hooked. Will I notice a real difference if I were to replace it with the Dell with only a 1000:1 contrast ratio? A sales person told me that humans can't really notice anything over 1000:1 anyway. Is that true?

All-in-all, the Dell looks swell and a worthy consideration for a replacement. Its just that Samsung's performance and what-all, has me really spoiled.

I'm partial to Apple's 30 inch, but my pocket book isn't, and we all know that Dell monitors are just as good, and better priced. Wait, my Samsung is calling me........ :)

MakubeX

Partition Master

LoL, good one.
lmao.gif

I mean, is it a TN, MVA, PVA, IPS, etc? ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey great article on what appears to be a really great monitor, however, I was wondering one thing? My 20-inch Samsung that I will, hopefully, upgrade soon has me really spoiled rotten. The 2 mm response time and the 2000:1 contrast ratio has me hooked. Will I notice a real difference if I were to replace it with the Dell with only a 1000:1 contrast ratio? A sales person told me that humans can't really notice anything over 1000:1 anyway. Is that true?

All-in-all, the Dell looks swell and a worthy consideration for a replacement. Its just that Samsung's performance and what-all, has me really spoiled.

I'm partial to Apple's 30 inch, but my pocket book isn't, and we all know that Dell monitors are just as good, and better priced. Wait, my Samsung is calling me........ :)

Sadly, I am a monitor noob, but I am learning as I review them. I would have to agree with the sales rep in saying that you wouldn't notice a super high contrast ratio. If it was 10000:1 you would probably notice the difference since it's a much wider range. The 2ms is seriously nice, and since I have had no experiences with that before, I can't comment.

The larger you go with a monitor though, the higher the response rate will be. Dell assures me that they are working towards producing large monitors with even lower response rates. Apples and Dells 30" are very comparable, and it wouldn't surprise me of they both use the same panel. The difference is, as you say, that the Apple is more expensive, but it also looks better.

I mean, is it a TN, MVA, PVA, IPS, etc? ;)

Sorry man, I have absolutely no idea. Let me contact Dell and find out for you. Will let you know once I hear back.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member

How much ambient lighting do you have in your computer room / office? The 2000:1 is ideal on paper, and might actually produce brighter, more vibrant colors, but unless your room is void of all ambient lighting, you -might- not even notice a difference unless one monitor was directly beside the other. I am currently using a Dell 2407WFP 24" and I couldn't be happier.

With that said though, I also have a pair of 19" Dell monitors on either side of my 24" and with their 700:1 contrast ratio, I can notice a significant difference between the two types of monitors. As for what you were told about humans not being able to see any discernible difference above 1000:1, I don't know if I trust that or not and unfortunately, I don't have any monitors above the 1000:1 mark to test this theory out.

Stretch

Obliviot
Great review, my friend. Those were some of the clearest pictures of the 2707wfp that i've yet to find anywhere.:)

I've been using an apple cinema display 23" with my PC since 2003 and was looking for a possible upgrade. With it's great styling, price and same resolution of 1920x1200 this monitor just might fit the bill.

I was wondering, did you experience any issues with heat-output during your testing? The CNET reviewer stated that the heat output of the 2707wfp actually made him woozy, something which sounded puzzling - wouldn't the 30" dell be giving off a significantly more amount? Yet to date I haven't heard anyone mention heat issues with the 30" models of any brand (Dell, Apple, HP, etc)

Also, since the displays is 3-4" larger than current 24 and 23 inch widescreen displays, did you notice anything going on with the text? I.e. was the pixel pitch larger and grainy, or did everything look ok?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi Stretch,

Heat is an odd one, I don't recall running into an issue like that. The backside of the monitor can hit upwards of 47C, but I never sat there thinking it was too hot. Granted, this room is 80F - 88F on any given day, so I might not have noticed it. I have a Samsung 275T here, which is quite similar, and it runs warm in the back as well.

The only real problem I had with the Dell monitor was being left with a headache after a long gaming session, but that was thanks to the fact that I sat within two feet to it.

The pixel pitch is a little bit higher on the 27" monitor when compared to your 23" or Dell's 24", but it never came off to me as being a problem. It's not perfect, but it wasn't bad for the size of the screen and the resolution. As a comparison, the 27" monitor has a 0.303mm pixel pitch while their 30" has one of 0.250mm, so there might be a noticeable difference between the two.

Samsungs 275T has the same pixel pitch, and chances are they are almost identical in every other way, except the 275T has a higher luminance at 500cd/m2.

U

Unregistered

Hi, I am wondering if anyone with this monitor has experienced any 'creaky" noises coming from the frame at any point. I absolutely love mine, but am finding that after 1 month of having it, it is starting to creak.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi, I am wondering if anyone with this monitor has experienced any 'creaky" noises coming from the frame at any point. I absolutely love mine, but am finding that after 1 month of having it, it is starting to creak.

I had the monitor for a little over a month and never experienced anything like that. Does it creak by itself, or when you push on the panel a certain way? If it's a very minor sound, I'd ignore it, but if it's more intense I'd consider giving Dell's customer service a call.

U

Unregistered

It actually creaks on its own...and I am noticing that the frame is pulling away slightly from the screen (half a mm) and I never touch it and have it in a climate-controlled area. I think I will call them- thx

U

Unregistered

Good review

Thanks for the review, I decided to go for this screen as my DELL UltraSharp 1504FP (1024x768) is becomming much to small and the 2007WFP costs 150 € (120 $) more. I ordered it and it should be here in a few days.

As for the price statement, that this screen is more expensive than competitors, you should take in mind that the only screens that are less expensive are using TN panels, where this is using MVA, which gives premium image quality. And if you want qualtity you will have to pay. Although at the time of the review this may have been different.

That the high-defenition doesn't look HD is normal, sice you are testing with a X-BOX which isn't FULL HD but 720p so your HD source (1280x720) is at lower resolution than your screen (1680x1050). This looks the same as watching SD on a HD-ready tv or connecting your X-BOX to a FULL HD tv. Probably you will get a better result if you connect a PS3 ,Blu-ray or HD-DVD player. Where the source has a higher resolution than your screen.

Finally I would like to correct an error (I think) in your review, you are speaking of a Firewire cable for the USB connection, isn't that just an USB type B port? So you can connect this screen using a normal USB-cable?

Kind regards,

Brecht

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That the high-defenition doesn't look HD is normal, sice you are testing with a X-BOX which isn't FULL HD but 720p so your HD source (1280x720) is at lower resolution than your screen (1680x1050). This looks the same as watching SD on a HD-ready tv or connecting your X-BOX to a FULL HD tv. Probably you will get a better result if you connect a PS3 ,Blu-ray or HD-DVD player. Where the source has a higher resolution than your screen.

This can be said about most displays. Even most televisions will support non-HD resolutions, but movies/games still look amazing. I am not expecting a computer monitor to display HD video perfectly, but I have compared numerous displays in the past and simply stated what's better.

For the record though, I've been using a Gateway XHD3000 (30") for the past two months and the Xbox/PS3 look -amazing- (better than my TV) on it, so it can be done.

Finally I would like to correct an error (I think) in your review, you are speaking of a Firewire cable for the USB connection, isn't that just an USB type B port? So you can connect this screen using a normal USB-cable?

That is an error, thanks for pointing it out!

U

Unregistered

love my new screen!!

After reading a few reviews I decided to take dell instead of sumsung. This was a bonus from my boss, so I didn't pay, also dell has a promo right now and the price was 900$. In total with shipping and taxes it was 1070$ canadian. I have a 24" screen dell at work, but the 27" is much better looking screen, I really like it. Image quality - I have nothing to complain about.