Dell Releases World's Thinnest Notebook, Adamo XPS

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
If there's one single trend that's appreciated by the vast majority of people affected by it, it would have to be the one that sees our gadgets getting smaller and smaller over time. There's of course limits, but if you take a look at notebook PCs, cell phones and other tech toys that were released just ten years ago, the differences are staggering. Back then, a cell phone was almost the size of a brick, while today, people regularly misplace them due to their size.

The slimming down of notebooks in particular isn't only important, but necessary. After all, carrying around a 10 pound notebook all day in no way could be considered fun, while a 3 - 4lbs offering is far easier to deal with. When Apple first released its MacBook Air, it set a new standard where thin notebooks were concerned. This was so much the case, that stories emerged of complications that people ran into when trying to go through an airport. The notebook is so thin, that some people thought it was fake.

Well, as it stands today, the MacBook Air might look like a heavyweight when compared to Dell's new Adamo XPS, a notebook that at its thickest point is just 9.99mm (0.4-inch). When I saw the press release for this in my inbox, I didn't think too much of it. After all, thin notebooks come and go all the time. But this is far different. At 0.4-inch thick, the Adamo XPS is almost half as thick as the MacBook Air. It's even thinner than a standard 2.5-inch notebook hard drive, which are typically 0.50-inch thick.

Based off of the small image I've provided below, it's hard to appreciate just how thin and good-looking this machine is, so I highly recommend heading over to Dell's Flickr page to see the notebook from various angles. It's a very unique design, but given the thickness goals, it has to be. The specs are fairly modest as you'd expect them to be, but aside from the ULV processor, nothing is really lacking. Included is 4GB of memory, Intel wireless (a/g/n), Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit even!). As for screen size, that's a 13.4-inch WLED, which supports a resolution of 1280x720.

Ironically, the pricing of this thin notebook has the neat ability to thin out your wallet as well, with a price of $1,799. You can sign up for the notification list here if you are looking to purchase one upon release, which should be before the end of the year.

dell_xps_adamos_110909.jpg

Last spring Dell set the computing industry abuzz with the introduction of its Adamo brand, and along with it the world’s thinnest laptop PC. Today, the world meets a new champion of thin: The Dell Adamo XPS, measuring 9.99mm or just four-tenths of an inch. Both laptops set new standards for craftsmanship, design and engineering excellence. Adamo XPS is a stunning laptop whose design provides a unique experience. With the swipe of a finger, the keyboard appears from under the display as the system is open

Source: Dell Adamo XPS

MacMan

Partition Master
It's a very nice looking machine, and certainly different than any other out there. I like the look, but some say that even though it's great sitting on a desktop, on your lap it could prove to another thing all together.

Like the MacBook Air, the inspiration for the Adamo and others, it's interesting, but it's hardly what I would pay hard-earned cash for, especially, since like the MBA, it is a little too expensive considering its trade-offs. I will take a 15..4 inch MacBook Pro any old day.

Still, even though it's mostly a status type device, it's a very attractive one. Kudos to Dell.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Sweet looking laptop if you got $1800 to spare...

Sometimes I wonder if they don't make these things simply because they can... At that degree of thinness it's got to be flimsy and easily broken --there just isn't room for much of a frame-- which relegates it more to a rich person's novelty toy than anything else.

Now you talk about the annoyance of carting an 8 pounder around all day... Most technician's tool kits come in close to 40 pounds, in an attache case sized package. We manage because of this amazing invention included on most tool kits, brief cases, lunch boxes and even purses... it's called a Handle.

Why they don't put handles on laptops is a source of constant amazement...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
MacMan said:
Like the MacBook Air, the inspiration for the Adamo and others, it's interesting, but it's hardly what I would pay hard-earned cash for

I'm of the same mindset, but I do think it has a market, but mostly for business men and women who frequent meetings with clients often. It looks a lot better when you show up with a sexy and stylish notebook like this or the MacBook Air rather than some bulky-looking toy ;-)

2Tired2Tango said:
Why they don't put handles on laptops is a source of constant amazement...

I can see your point, but I think adding a handle to a notebook would make them <em>all</em> look ugly. I'd never, ever want a handle on mine, and would never purchase one if it had a handle. On a 40lb toolbox, sure, but on a modest &lt;10lbs notebook? It's not THAT important. Some notebooks might still be a pain to carry, but still. Back to my example, I'm talking about the weight in general. Most people who have to go from classroom to classroom or meeting to meeting will throw it either in a backpack or a briefcase. The weight's still there.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I can see your point, but I think adding a handle to a notebook would make them <em>all</em> look ugly. I'd never, ever want a handle on mine, and would never purchase one if it had a handle.

One of my first "laptop" style portables had a handle... Pretty slick setup... the handle split with the case and slid back into the case halves to become all but invisible when the machine was in use. Of course this wasn't much like today's laptops, and weighed like a cement block... but it was easy to carry.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can understand it if the laptop weighs a ton. I've also seen heavy-duty laptops with handles, but those are for use in different scenarios, like working in the back shop of a distributor of some sort. I know it's clunkier, but I'd quicker opt for a bag that fits just the laptop. That would give us a handle, and not look ugly.