Dell Intros "Wireless Charging" Latitude Z Notebook

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When I purchased a notebook from Dell about five years ago, I was quite impressed with what I got. Today, I realize just how ridiculously expensive it was compared to notebooks of now (it felt mid-range, but cost $3,300), but I remember at the time wondering, "What can they possibly do to make notebooks even better?" Aside from the obvious, battery-life and performance, I wondered what features could be tacked on that would help keep things fresh.

Back then, "wireless power" didn't come to mind, although I would have been really excited to even just ponder the idea. But today, that's a reality - kind of - from Dell, with their Latitude Z business notebook. I say "kind of" because to me, it's not truly wireless power, and I'm not sure who could consider it as such. Wireless to me assumes some leeway about how far you could get from the source, and in the case here, we're talking millimeters, not meters.

Like many other notebooks, this one comes with a dock. What's different here, is that rather than the notebook slide into a connector or a cord need to be inserted, you simply have to set the notebook down and it will do it's thing. Technically, it is wireless, because there are no cables running from the notebook to the dock, but it has to be physically on the dock, so it's hard to tell the difference. This isn't exactly a cheap option, either. It's yours for $199, and as such, it's clearly targeted at business users (fair enough given it's a business class notebook).

Just how useful this feature is, is really up to you. One additional feature I really like, though, is Dell's version of an "instant-on" environment. Inside the notebook is a secondary (but much smaller) motherboard complete with an ARM processor. Users, when booting up, can boot into this non-Windows OS for basic tasks, such as e-mail, Web browsing and handling contacts and calendars. Why should you should care? Using this mode, you can get upwards of 2 days worth of battery-life, compared to 4 hours in a Windows environment. It's numbers like these that may finally give the "instant-on" OS the push it needs to hit mainstream popularity.

<table border="0" align="center"> <tbody> <tr> <td>
dell_wireless_power_laptop_093009.jpg

Credit: Erica Ogg</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
What Dell, and DeviceVM, and Phoenix, and plenty of others are doing is part of a trend that's gaining steam: doing a sort of end-run around Windows. HP came out with its own interface on Touchsmart PCs last year that allows for quick sorting between photos, e-mail, and Web browsing on a few models. Lenovo recently introduced a new touch-screen interface for its tablet, and Asus has its own for its popular Eee PC Netbooks and touch-screen desktop called TouchGate.

Source: CNET

MacMan

Partition Master
Cool Idea!

Dell has a cool idea here. It's not the first time though, I remember reading of another device that had it. It didn't work quite as well as people thought, but it was a start, I guess?

Being able to simply sit the thing down, without attaching wires, is a big plus and goes even farther than Apple's MagSafe adapter. Of course, a cable is preferable when traveling, but at home I can see the advantage of Dell's wireless dock.

Too bad you simply couldn't charge your laptop from anywhere in the house without having to physically lay it down on the dock, but again, it's a start, and its a nice looking rig too!

I think that the idea of wireless recharging is a cool idea, but I don't think it will ever be a hot item until they can dramatically increase the range. :)

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Back then, "wireless power" didn't come to mind, although I would have been really excited to even just ponder the idea. But today, that's a reality - kind of - from Dell, with their Latitude Z business notebook. I say "kind of" because to me, it's not truly wireless power, and I'm not sure who could consider it as such. Wireless to me assumes some leeway about how far you could get from the source, and in the case here, we're talking millimeters, not meters.

Proximity charging is nothing new Rob. It's based on the same theory as transformers...Induction. Basically Induction says that one coil of wire when charged with electricity will produce a similar charge in a second, nearby coil of wire without any physical connection between the two coils... Provided the charge is always changing (alternating current) this can be a means to transfer energy across short distances...less than a centimeter unless you are willing to put up with horrific losses in efficiency.

Back when I was doing general electronics work we used to deal with a company that sold handy talkies (buisness band) using this same charging technique... They worked just fine and never exhibited any of the contact or connector problems seen where drop in or corded chargers were used. Only problem was they were HEAVY... the coils added a good pound to the overall weight of the radios.

It's a good idea... Gets entirely rid of the broken power connector problem that is so common in some laptops. Build the charger circuit into the battery pack itself and you can use the same station to charge your spare batteries...

Last edited:

gibbersome

Coastermaker
It's a good idea... Gets entirely rid of the broken power connector problem that is so common in some laptops. Build the charger circuit into the battery pack itself and you can use the same station to charge your spare batteries...

That's the biggest advantage I take from this new "wireless" technology. It would save customers and Dell hundreds of dollars in replacement powercords.

Though why they didn't adopt Apple's magnetic contact charging is beyond me.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
eeeeh ... I think this just gimmicky. Why pay $199 when that would buy a 1/2 dozen charging adapters that I can spread all over the place? My 1st notebook 10 years cost $2500, a Sony. The replacement batteries cost $250 I found out within a year.

Of course my criteria of a notebook is fairly humble and that is because I consider notebooks to be a consumable from a business perspective. So, because of my Sony experience, I now buy notebooks with a 1st criteria of the cost of spare batteries! If it is under $100, then *that* notebook makes it to my list of possibilities. I will never again spend more than $1000 to $1500 on a notebook.

BTW I consulted to Dell @ Austin in the day with my Sony and it's "smart" battery. They were all over giving me plenty of cr@p about it, but they didn't have it at the time. Of course their batteries then cost a lot less than $250. In the final analysis, cheap batteries from the manufacturer (vs some knock off which I tried) is the way to go. A battery <$100 is very easy to giveup versus >$200.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

Actually the induction method would be considerably more reliable. With properly designed coils it could be 80 to 90% efficient in close proximity.

Apples magnetics are a good idea but still susceptible to dirt... they still rely on a physical/electrical contact to work.

You won't see the range going up... Tesla tried that and rapidly discovered the "Inverse Square" law... Every time you double the distance you cut the power by a factor of 4. So at 1mm it is 4 times more efficient than it is at 2mm.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
... 80 to 90% efficient ...

Apples magnetics are a good idea but still susceptible to dirt... they still rely on a physical/electrical contact to work.

Efficiency like that would require an iron core similar to a transformer but I cannot really find much info on the system. Therefore I can't believe that there is very much efficiency with this design and this makes it counter - energy efficient considering all the noise going on about desk top mobos with 24 (Phase) ways to efficiency and saving power. Is it too obvious that that *nothing* is mention about energy efficiency. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, Apple's magnetics is merely an attempt at a better sounding mouse trap & is for marketing only. In this case not using a plug of some kind. Any kind of plug costs pennies compared to a magnetic connector. And a traditional plug/receptacle connector has contact to contact wiping inherit in the design which mostly eliminates the dirt or corrosion issue ... but it is not sexxy sounding at all.:cool:

I doubt that there will ever be any patent disputes over either of these schemes.

MacMan

Partition Master
It's simple.......

The answer is simple: Apple owns the MagSafe patents!

Of course, Apple holds a lot of patents and they do nothing when others use them, like the patent on it's dock, Expose, translucency etc. But Apple is Apple, they do some pretty nifty things, but they also so some pretty dumb ones too, like enforcing some of its patents and not others. The MagSafe is one that, for what ever reason, they have determined that they will enforce, so Dell's out of luck with this one.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
Efficiency like that would require an iron core similar to a transformer but I cannot really find much info on the system.

The HTs I used to service had a copper coil of about 200 turns in their back casing. the charger stand had a similar coil and a magnetic core similar to a transformer. When the HT was in it's charger base the coils were about 1mm (thickness of the case) apart. It would charge the HTs in about an hour... the same time it took for the spring contact models. I don't have an efficiency number for you, but it seemed to me the system worked well enough...

Specific efficiency would depend on the construction of the coils, frequencies used, casing materials, etc. but I would think 80% is achievable with Dell's method.

Last edited:

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I think a quick way to find out is to know the amount of current into the charger.

Being a signal integrity & connector guy, I know that the computer companies have a lot of trouble with traditional connectors. There is a lot of reverse engineering done on connectors since they just look like widgets. The results are often a PITA warranty issue then for OEMs.

Sooooo, I'll adjust my attitude a bit & opinion that wireless charging is not a bad thing at all. I used to work at Motorola in Schaumburg & I know that connectors is not their strong suite either. Wireless charging for HTs makes sense.

From your description 2Tired, I'll let my imagination play with the idea of someone figuring out how to use the base or the notebook as a metal detector or a low frequency radio antenna. :rolleyes:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
I think a quick way to find out is to know the amount of current into the charger.

Yep... simple method ... Watts Out / Watts In == efficiency.

I used to work at Motorola in Schaumburg & I know that connectors is not their strong suite either. Wireless charging for HTs makes sense.

Another Bat-Labber .... cool.

Last edited: