Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This has to be one of the most drooled over, [at least with me] laptops EVER.

Man, a 6800U in a LAPTOP. Really, it's an overclocked 6800, but damn, the benchmarks!

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see SLi in a laptop :|

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
What I really cannot wait for, is for the various lapto pvendors to agree upon a laptop mini-PCI spec that allows for removable and upgradeable video cards!

They already have a few designs out there, and I've heard it touted in a few places... but I want to see industry adoption of that! *Then* I'll consider a laptop.

Right now, you are stuck with the graphics solution that ships with the lapper. I'd like the ability to upgrade it, as newer technologies come out, so that my laptop solution that costs me 1.5 - 2.5 times as much as a desktop... can have the longevity of a desktop!

Is that too much to ask?
;)

U

Unregistered

Tech-Daddy said:
What I really cannot wait for, is for the various lapto pvendors to agree upon a laptop mini-PCI spec that allows for removable and upgradeable video cards!

They already have a few designs out there, and I've heard it touted in a few places... but I want to see industry adoption of that! *Then* I'll consider a laptop.

Right now, you are stuck with the graphics solution that ships with the lapper. I'd like the ability to upgrade it, as newer technologies come out, so that my laptop solution that costs me 1.5 - 2.5 times as much as a desktop... can have the longevity of a desktop!

Is that too much to ask?
;)

What you ask for is already available. A barebones laptop can be built with your choice of a graphics card.

I know the Dells use the standard PCIe form factor, so far Dell has not sold the cards by themselves, you must return the laptop, or visit one of their centers in order to upgrade the video. The 7 series ATI is bringing their higher performance GPUs to the mobile market as well.

U

Unregistered

I can't edit, but I meant to say..." I DON'T know if Dell uses the standard FF PCIx cards."

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Unregistered said:
I can't edit, but I meant to say..." I DON'T know if Dell uses the standard FF PCIx cards."

Yes, it definitely is available. I'd like to see it way more available though, and hope to see it in the future.

(AKA I hate my damn mobile 5200FX!)