Defrag @ boot

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I have been trying a few changes with OC'ing, and each time I change something in bios, it boots and then defrags .

Is that normal for win vista ?

Anyone?

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I believe you mean a check disk, not a defrag. That can sometimes happen when a thumb drive is plugged into the system, so make sure there isn't one. It could also be that the hard drive really is messed up. So you might want to check up on it in Windows and make sure the SMART information is good and that you perform a full-fledged scan on it ( chkdsk /f C: ).

Overclocking might also have the effect, especially if it never does this without overclocking.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I believe you mean a check disk, not a defrag. That can sometimes happen when a thumb drive is plugged into the system, so make sure there isn't one. It could also be that the hard drive really is messed up. So you might want to check up on it in Windows and make sure the SMART information is good and that you perform a full-fledged scan on it ( chkdsk /f C: ).

Overclocking might also have the effect, especially if it never does this without overclocking.
Only when I make a change in Bios...otherwise it boots right up
At first I thought it was Perfect Disk, because one time I set it up to defrag at boot up....but I checked and it is not set to do that all the time...just that once.
It's system files that can not be defragged with the OS booted and running.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
So is it doing a CHKDSK or a defrag??

Only other thing I can think of is if you have a RAID array set up?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Can you take a picture of this? I don't understand how Windows itself would defrag on boot. Unless you have some third-party application installed that would enable this, I still think it's a CHKDSK.

Regardless, it still sounds overclocking related.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Can you take a picture of this? I don't understand how Windows itself would defrag on boot. Unless you have some third-party application installed that would enable this, I still think it's a CHKDSK.

Regardless, it still sounds overclocking related.
Yup....when I get back in from work today.
I guess no one else has seen it before......could be an EVGA 780i thing?

Anyway, I'll post later today.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Definitely Vista's boot time defrag, and I see you let it complete as well. It's supposed to be a one time defrag. I noticed your bootloader as well. I really don't know, it could be the overclocking did something.

For awhile I had CHDSK repeatedly running upon startup, but after I manually scheduled a CHDSK scan and let it run then it stopped. In my case I was pretty sure it was due to overclocking, I was pushing the limits and seeing if Vista would prove to be as tolerant as XP is for it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I had no idea there was such thing as a boot-time defragger... sorry for doubting you! Even with overclocking, I find it odd that it would show up each and every time. Once in Windows, have you stress-tested your overclock to see if it's stable?

I haven't overclocked that much under Vista, but the bit I did do didn't spawn results like that.

As for the bootloader, that's an old GRUB installation, but since no Linux is installed, it could easily be overwritten.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I had no idea there was such thing as a boot-time defragger... sorry for doubting you! Even with overclocking, I find it odd that it would show up each and every time. Once in Windows, have you stress-tested your overclock to see if it's stable?

I haven't overclocked that much under Vista, but the bit I did do didn't spawn results like that.

As for the bootloader, that's an old GRUB installation, but since no Linux is installed, it could easily be overwritten.
Yes, I use Everest to do the stress test.
It only does the boot time defrag IF I make a change.
After final boot of Vista, and I reboot, it does not do the boot time defrag, just boots normal.
Also, I have the first boot device set to hard drive, yet in the boot up I see that the Boot device is reset,,,,,hmmmmm.
I'll have to look at that again.....I have the drive installed from the other machine untill I get the q9450 onto the other 780i board,
Maybe it sees the OS there......

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage:

Krazy K

Partition Master
I've had an issue like that long ago with XP. I booted in Safe Mode and then restared and it went right in windows after that. I keep that trick near-by in case I ever see it again, worth trying I'd say.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I've had an issue like that long ago with XP. I booted in Safe Mode and then restared and it went right in windows after that. I keep that trick near-by in case I ever see it again, worth trying I'd say.
It only happens when I change settings in Bios.... I think it is a mobo/vista thing