Deadlands 2: Trapped to be Released on HD DVD (You Read that Right)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When Toshiba's HD DVD died out last year, Sony couldn't have been happier. Blu-ray won the somewhat lengthy battle, and humorously, it all came down to marketing, and deals made by Sony to the most dominant movie companies. It was a sad end for Toshiba, especially since their format was hardly lacking. In fact, even though I never owned an HD DVD player (but do own a Blu-ray), I always liked Toshiba's format more. But I won't get into the reasons as to why here due to space.

After Toshiba made it official that they were pulling out of supporting HD DVD, movies released for the format thinned out very quickly, until a point when it was safe to call the format dead. But not so surprisingly, there are many die-hards of the format who don't want to let it go, and it's with that, that one company has worked hard to release just one more movie on the format: Deadlands 2: Trapped.

The company, Anthem Films, posted on High-Def Digests forums a few months ago to gage interest in seeing the release on HD DVD, and the response was overwhelming. They originally hoped for 250 prints of the movie to be made, but it now sits at 500 that will be made, or more if demand suddenly jolts once again. The movie will retail for $29.99, so no deals just because the format is defunct. This will be a collector's item, after all.

Sure, HD DVD is dead, but I love seeing passionate fans that can make this happen. I was in a similar set of shoes after Sega discontinued their Dreamcast console. Games were still being released years after the company pulled the plug, and there were certainly no complaints from fans. So it's good to see HD DVD live just a bit longer, even if it does take a flick featuring undeads to get it done.

deadlands_2_hddvd_090409.jpg

"I know it’s a gamble with HD DVD having lost out on the format war, but based on feedback from HD DVD fans we expect this to be a huge moment for them, the film and HD DVD. Kind of ironic that a zombie film would be helping HD DVD try to come back from the dead, even if for a short period of time, but who knows, if the program is a success maybe other indie filmmakers and distributors can do something similar for the HD DVD fans and keep it alive for the hard core."

Source: High-Def Digest