D-Link Launches "Quadband" Dual-Frequency Wireless Router

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I have never been a huge networking fan, but lately I'm starting to come around. It's hard not to when such cool routers as the DIR-855 are unveiled, which is the first to offer "Quadband" operation. D-Link's latest baby, simply put, supports concurrent wireless transmissions over both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels at the same time, theoretically allowing a full 600Mbps of bandwidth at any given time.

It might seem like a gimmick, but D-Link is confident this is the future of 802.11n. Because the router utilizes the 5GHz frequency, which is less crowded than 2.4GHz (ain't that the truth?), it should allow far smoother operation without interfering with other home electronics. With high-definition content becoming ever more popular, D-Link claims that the new router is capable of handling multiple concurrent high-definition streams without slowdown, something that would not be possible on a standard router over WiFi (I've tried).

Besides the fact that the router can utilize both frequencies at once, this is a great looking product. I owned an expensive D-Link router about three-years ago, and it sure doesn't compare to this one. The top-mounted LCD screen will display data related to your network status, making it a router you'd actually want on your desk, not under. The router will be available this May for £169.99 ($337USD!). I only covered the absolute basics here. Hit up the full press release for a much more in-depth look.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
dlink_dir855_030408.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
D-Link is for the first time implementing their Green Ethernet technology within a wireless router: the DIR-855 features 5 Green Ethernet Gigabit ports, adding best environmental practice to best performance. To prevent inevitable attacks from the Internet, the DIR-855 uses Dual Active Firewalls (SPI, NAT) Technology to help secure the entire network and personal user information.

Source: D-Link Press Release, Via: Engadget