D-Link DNS-323 NAS

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There's something to be said for convenient, mappable network storage. NAS not only offers an affordable way to keep your data safe, but also a handy way to share all your "stuff". As our review states, this name branded BYOD NAS box delivers on all fronts.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Looks like a lot of usable features,

In the test of speeds, what drives did you use?

I could see using a couple of 500 mb drives to total a tera bite storage.
And also I see Circuit City being the cheapest.

Merlin

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The drives used in the review were a pair of Seagate 750 GB ES drives. Just to keep you posted, if you like network storage, wait for the next two NAS boxes we look at. They take the functionality of this D-Link and add a lot more. Should be fun.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

OS support?

Glad to have found this review; I've been looking at them for a while, but .....

I didn't notice in your post any reference to what OS you used. The manufacturer's site says Win XP, with Vista soon .... I've got a mixed network with Vista and XP (okay, and one old Win 98, but that's just for vintage games), and would like to know if anyone has some experience with this NAS in Vista? Also, perhaps a few words from anyone that's used the print server function? Thanks for your input!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The print server functionality of the NAS is pretty straight forward. As for it working with Vista, I will try that out today and get back to you. I cannot imagine it not working with Vista, just map the drive with the correct path but I will confirm this for you this afternoon. Thanks for reading through the review.

C

captdan

Thanks for the effort!

I appreciate your quick get-back.

I know the print server function should be straight-forward, but this is the real world. I've been through a few other NAS's that were supposed to offer this function, only to run into a long series of snafus ... you know, the kind where even with their tech support (and I'm not exactly computer illiterate myself) there was no positive resolution.

Similar with Vista; should be straight-forward, but nothing with Vista seems full-cooked. And that doesn't even count the half-baked drivers the manufacturers are putting out ... but I diverge....

Anyway, THANKS for your post, and your follow through!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Don't thank me yet :D

Give me a day or so and I will test out the print server and Vista connectivity and report back with any information thats remotely relevant.

J

Jamison73

Mac/PC Mixed Network

Will this work in a Mac/PC Mixed Network? Also can an Xbox 360 connect to the media?

Thanks,
Jamison

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
From what I have read online, getting the 323 to play nicely with both Macs and PCs is difficult and requires a debian install on the DNS itself. With that said, I do not own a Mac so I can't guarantee any of this to be true.

As for the 360, if you will give me some time to look around, or barrow one, I will test this out for you as well. I am currently waiting for my 360 to come back from Microsoft. I am glad they made the warranties 3 years. :D

Y

Yann

Any news with Vista compatibility

I've installed the DNS-323 and I can't get it map to my computer. Funny enough, I was able to get it map on my XP PRO installed in virtual server (MS Virtual PC 2007) on my Vista machine. I spoke to level 2 support at D-LINK for 2 hours and wasn't able to be fix (they are very bad). Seems that we need to wait for the Vista driver... unless someone get it right. If so, just let me know and post your solution.

Yann

U

Unregistered

other two devices?

you mentioned you were going to review 2 other NAS devices. has those reviews been published? curious as i just purchased a DNS-323 and now im thinking this purchase maybe premature

thanks

U

Unregistered

DNS-323 and Vista Compatability

I too have vista and having problems with mapping the drives. Anybody knows the solution other than waiting for a new firmware?

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I will contact D-Link tomorrow about this issue and see if they are knowledgeable about any resolution... that and I can retest the device and see if I can get things to work.

U

Unregistered

Vista Issues

I've just bought a DNS-323 and couldn't get it to map from Vista. In my desparation to get it working I downloaded the beta 1.04 of the firmware from some obscure site.
The Vista mapping now works great and speed is fantastic and thought my problems had been fixed.
But no, the firmware has ISSUES with Office 2007 files, namely Excel .xlsx files and screws up the permissions, so even if you copy them back, they are corrupted.

Sure, its beta software and I shouldn't have used it. I haven't lost my originals. But due to the mapping issues with 1.03, I was forced into the beta firmware.

Unless this issue is solved soon, I'll be investing in a legitimate NAS, not this solution

U

Unregistered

This is an issue with the version of samba used on the DNS-323:

Run secpol.msc

Go to: Local Policies > Security Options

Find "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"

Change Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only"
to
"Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This is an issue with the version of samba used on the DNS-323:

Run secpol.msc

Go to: Local Policies > Security Options

Find "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"

Change Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only"
to
"Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

Vista defaults to only send the more secure NTLMv2 protocol, which these NAS devices / Samba do not support.

You beat me to it. :eek: Well done. This is quite an easy fix but one that most wouldn't think to look for. Thank you.

rtoledo2002

Obliviot
You beat me to it. :eek: Well done. This is quite an easy fix but one that most wouldn't think to look for. Thank you.

ok I can't find secpol.msc I found a whole bunch of other msc in the system32 but not this one, any help ?:(

man I really HATE VISTA , it's gonna make me go MAC or SUSE sooner or later. I may just rip it out and put XP back in it. the windows explorer really makes me want to smash the freaking thing F************

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
man I really HATE VISTA , it's gonna make me go MAC or SUSE sooner or later.

Welcome to the club!

I also have the problem of not finding a secpol.msc, but you might want to try the rest of the steps and see if the issue is fixed.

U

Unregistered

Welcome to the club!

I also have the problem of not finding a secpol.msc, but you might want to try the rest of the steps and see if the issue is fixed.

Thanks who originally posted this fix - as it was driving me nuts.

secpol.msc is the Local Security Policy MMC snap in tool. You can find it under Administrative Tools off the Start, All Programs, Administrative Tools Menu (if you have made it visible).

Or you can just activate the run menu by using <windows key> + <r> keyboard combination, as Vista Start menu no longer displays the run menu. Type secpol.msc in the dialog box and hit enter as this extension is already on the system path.

U

Unregistered

Thanks who originally posted this fix - as it was driving me nuts.

secpol.msc is the Local Security Policy MMC snap in tool. You can find it under Administrative Tools off the Start, All Programs, Administrative Tools Menu (if you have made it visible).

Or you can just activate the run menu by using <windows key> + <r> keyboard combination, as Vista Start menu no longer displays the run menu. Type secpol.msc in the dialog box and hit enter as this extension is already on the system path.

Oops, website parsed out brackets. Guess I should preview before I post. The windows key combination is < windows key > + < r >