Cryostasis

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This game is one that's being heavily-pushed by NVIDIA, as it's one of the few on the market that takes such great advantage of their PhysX phsyics technology. Here's what the company says:

"Original and truly frightening, Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason takes the player through a fantastic journey through two parallel timelines. In one, the player struggles for survival in the freezing hauls of the nuclear ice breaker 'North Wind,' fighting off mutant creatures and the merciless cold. In the other, he is taken into the past through the frozen corpses of the ship’s crew. Seeing their final moments before their fatal end, the player is given the chance to redirect their actions and save them from their fate.

Cryostasis has been widely praised for its incredible atmosphere. Outdoor scenes are uncompromisingly cold, the indoors scenes are eerie and claustrophobic. Eurogamer remarks: 'every surface is covered in a frosty, frondy sheen, and when things heat up the moisture trickles away in a slightly-too-fast defrost sequence. It's genuinely impressive stuff, and it leaves the game dripping with atmosphere.'

The impressive atmosphere in the game is made possible by two key technologies: the game’s advanced DirectX 10 graphics engine and its GPU accelerated PhysX engine.

To bring the ship and its characters to life, Cryostasis uses NVIDIA PhysX technology to simulate rigid bodies, cloth and collision. In addition to this, Cryostasis is the first game to implement a physically simulated water system. Games prior to Cryostasis modeled water as animated meshes or graphics sprites. Cryostasis simulates water through the use of smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH). Unlike a regular particle system which typical only accounts for collision, SPH computes viscosity, attraction, and repulsion. The end result is water that flows, splashes and gathers like real water.

The addition of physical water truly changes the gameplay experience in Cryostasis. Without physical water, a thwarting room is only hinted by an animated trickling texture. With PhysX enabled, a room literally melts as water droplets fall from ceilings, jets sprout from bursting pipes, and icicles break and shatter.
"

I don't have time to take a look at the game, but I'm wondering if anyone here does? If so, I could hook you up with a free copy of the game (downloadable), as long as you are able to play through a fair bit of the game, and come up with conclusions on both the game and its use of PhysX. If you are interested, let me know!

http://www.cryostasis-game.com/

Altrus

Coastermaker
Gotta love Russian games!
I thought this game wasn't coming out until late June though?

and P.S.
I am soooooooooo very interested!