Crucial PC3200 2GB Kit

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Just because a memory kit is 'value' doesn't mean it's not worthy of your attention. Today we are taking a look at a fair priced 2GB kit from Crucial, which rolls in at DDR400 speeds. Let's see how it stacks up, and see if we can squeeze any overclocking out of it.

After checking out the review, please feel free to discuss it here!

M

MalaysianCollegeStudent

i915GL in relation to this(I'm a poor gamer)

Just as a question, how would this memory influence the speed of the GMA900? I am thinking of getting an Asrock P4Dual-915GL for 4 reasons:
Still supports my socket 478 P4E 3.0 800MHz cpu
Still supports DDR-1
New features(SATA, PCI-E)
Faster than my current SiS661FX

And also, is the GMA900 at least comparable in performance to an nVidia GeForceFX5200?

.. and which is the fastest i915x? the GL? G? or GM? ...
Thanks in advance.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I honestly wish I had an answer for you but I've never had any experience with that particular chipset but after looking into it a bit I think you'd see far better performance from even the lowly FX5200.

The ram itself should be fine with that particular chipset and since it's a full 2 gigs you'll be able to allocate a full 224mb to the graphics without worrying about the loss to system memory and if you're not going to be doing any overclocking you can even tighten the ram timings to 2.5-3-3-6 at 200fsb with zero errors which will allow it to pick up even more bandwidth for improved performance.

My advice though is that after you setup the new system is to save up your limited funds to get as good of a discrete graphics card as you can realisitically afford since any games that are graphically challenging are going to require you to use low detail settings and either 640x480 or maybe 800x600dpi resolutions to be able to get decent framerates.

As to your choice in chipsets, personally I think that the board you've chosen presents the best chipset since it affords dual channel memory, AGP and PCIE support and some overclocking.

I hope you find this helpful and good luck with your new budget gaming rig.

M

MalaysianCollegeStudent

thanks for the heads-up

As above, thanks.
I only asked the question about the GMA900 because I have a P4 that's just going to end its warranty(that I want to modify, and I find quite amazing they can make a DX9-compatible part with very low power consumption and I just had to see how good Intel would do with it, ATI too expensive).
I actually have a PIII-1.2 rigged with a FX5600, but it performs badly(i.e. Soldner was slow with it, so was UFO:AfterMath, so was Spellforce).
I was wondering, do any modern GPU's scale with the processor you use, like PowerVR did?

.. and will there ever be a 945G for Socket478?
... EQS(UK/Britain/England) sells an ATI Xpress200IGP board for Socket478 if anyone's interested

madmat

Soup Nazi
That P4 3.2 will likely be quite a bit faster with the 5600 than the 1.2, considering it's close to 275% faster, has SSE2 and will be running dual channel ram so I wouldn't give up on that card entirely.

The 5600 should OC pretty well for even that much more gain and as slow as it may seem it will blow the 900 GPU out of the water since it has both hardware pixel AND vertex shaders plus it supports shader model 3.0 as opposed to just shader model 2.0 like the IGP in the 915 chipset.

Myself I've had 2 different cards in this machine since I built it back in 2003, the first was a FX5900 Ultra and the second was the current card which is my trusty 6800nu with all the pipes unlocked.

Since my chipset is AGP only there are no modern cards that will work with it.

Blumen

Coastermaker
Malaysiancollegestudent, i have a 9600xt for sale for pretty cheap if you're interested. It will blow the 5600 out of the water, and still be able to chew through most of today's games.

Not sure where you're located, but just an idea.

N

Nemesis181188

what type of ram

I would like to know is this ram double sided or single sided?

A

Avant Strangel

Are these High or Low Density?

I've been scouring the web and even posed the question to a (*sigh*) Salesperson and they didn't even know.