Cross-Border Computer Shops

moon111

Coastermaker
With the our (Canadian) dollar doing so well, many are back to doing the cross-border shopping thing. Does anyone know any good computer shops on the other side? I've been thinking about getting several items, and was thinking it just might be worth my while to get them in the States.

Wish I could afford to go buy some old vehicle from Arizona or something. Worth allot more up here.

flashive

Obliviot
Yes it would be interesting to know indeed. I'm from Europe and buying things on sites like Newegg is so much cheaper compared to European shops because of the weak US$.

So I'm also interested in US based shops that ship outside the US

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Just remember, Canada Customs will make that bargain cost you more than what it costs here before you get it. Almost everything over $20 and over 1lb is taxed and you pay a Customs fee before it gets to you. FEDEX and UPS are the worst since they add on even more fees. Unless you got someone to send it to you as a gift and they value it under $20, you'll regret importing parts.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't think I've received shipments from FedEX that I have owed money for, but 90% of the packages I received from UPS I do have to pay duty for... even a few review samples that are of no value. I hate UPS... they've screwed me over far more than once.

If ordering from the US, I'd go with FedEX or USPS, though it's still difficult to say whether or not you will get charged for anything. If the value is under $400 after taxes, you should be fine.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Fedex ALWAYS nails me. USPS is the only service that will charge the least. CanadaPost gets a $5 processing fee and the 14% taxes on anything over $20. I agree that sometimes they let it go for stuff up to $50, but usually they don't. You have been incredibly lucky to get expensive stuff, especially through FEDEX, without getting charged. If you are talking about review samples, that could be why you haven't been charged.

To anyone else, if you have a package shipped to you from a retail company or even Ebay that is over $20, be prepared. Google UPS and FEDEX shipping across the border. You'll see hundreds of horrified people sometimes paying more than the item is worth in cross border fees + taxes. USPS is the only safe way to get it from the US. As from any other country, I have been hit on every single item I ever got, even low buck/weight stuff.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Yeah, having someone from the states recieve it and repackage/reship it for you can save you a -lot- on customs... I think I paid about $200 on my laptop when I had it shipped up there directly from the company when I went to University (6 years ago), sure it costs more now.

And tariffs/fees on vehicles are stupid expensive, ugh.

moon111

Coastermaker
I don't think I've received shipments from FedEX that I have owed money for, but 90% of the packages I received from UPS I do have to pay duty for... even a few review samples that are of no value. I hate UPS... they've screwed me over far more than once.

If ordering from the US, I'd go with FedEX or USPS, though it's still difficult to say whether or not you will get charged for anything. If the value is under $400 after taxes, you should be fine.

I never paid duty for parts that I reviewed. They were sent with no value. One company I dealt with sent a package, and a bill for the duty came with it. I called them up, stating I don't want to pay advertise their stuff really, so they said just don't pay the bill. What happens is the charges are reversed to the shipper.