Creating Bootable Linux Thumb Drives with Universal USB Installer

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
A great thing for Linux is that its popularity is rapidly growing, and thanks to the countless number of "Live CDs" out there, anyone can download and burn an image to allow them to test drive a distro with no risk to their PC. But, what about those who either don't have blank CDs lying around, or don't have an optical drive installed in their PC?

pendrive_linux_installer_042211_01.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
You can also use it to load Android 2.2 on a thumb drive to use on a regular computer. Doing that now! Only a matter of time until Android has it's own piece of the desktop OS pie. Sure it's not Windows, and hell, it's not even decent for pc use. It's a start though, and with Android support growing each day, I don't think it'll be long before "Android PCs" start showing up.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Very interesting tool, I need to make a note of it!

You can also use it to load Android 2.2 on a thumb drive to use on a regular computer. Doing that now! Only a matter of time until Android has it's own piece of the desktop OS pie. Sure it's not Windows, and hell, it's not even decent for pc use. It's a start though, and with Android support growing each day, I don't think it'll be long before "Android PCs" start showing up.

Actually, you can expect Android to show up in a big way within just six months. Google has given the Android 3.0 source code to Intel for them to compile and modify to run natively on the x86 architecture. Intel has indicated development is flying along, and given their plans to subsidize Atom use for tablets it won't be long before Atom-powered devices running Android 3 become as common as netbooks... or at least try to. Nettops never really caught on, but maybe Android will make the difference this time? Will be interesting to watch...

Jakal

Tech Monkey
It'll be nice to see what Intel does with Gingerbread. Android is based on a Linux kernel and is far less likely to have security issues.. That is, of course, if Intel doesn't build them into the OS.

The Motorola Atrix already has the ability to be used via faux laptop with docking port. I can see the duo being very handy for business professionals who travel and want a computer to update data on-the-go. The available 'fauxtop' is only 2.4lbs. I wasn't sure on voice call capability in netbook mode so I found this Wall Street Journal article:
When you make or receive a voice call while the phone is docked, you must rely on the phone’s microphone and speakers, hidden behind the screen of the dock. As a result, calls sounded muffled on both ends, even though the phone automatically switches into speakerphone mode. Motorola says it is working on this issue.
I think a netbook is good choice for kids. Something to type up homework, do research, etc. No drive to install games, but enough utility to be productive. There again, I wouldn't go out and purchase one because when I have kids there will be multiple working computers in the house.

I can't see getting one for myself. No optical drive and minimal graphic capabilities are my biggest complaints. I'd rather have something to watch movies/DVDs and keep entertained when not at my own home. That, a netbook can't deliver on.