CPU Cooler Roundup - 22 Models Tackle Our QX6850

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Both of those coolers are beaten by current and cheaper coolers. The only people buying them are people not even taking a second to do any research on current coolers. I never said older coolers did not do a good job, but they have been equaled or beaten for some time and for alot less money.

Not so according to the graph in the reivew, it's at the top spot even. Yes there are coolers that beat it, but off the top of my head those would be the Thermalright 120 Extreme and Thermalright IFX-140, both of which cost more than $45.

PS: Why does it even matter that the QX9650 is cooler than anything P4?

Besides that I still find it amazing four cores run cooler than a single-core 65nm chip? :D Because it serves to point out that if the P4 is indeed hotter, then it is a better testbed chip for cooler testing. At least it was while LGA775 was still around, not sure how much longer some sites are going to be able to keep their P4 cooler test platforms going. I guess LGA775 adapters will be included by default for a long time though...

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Using a long gone CPU for testing is not a good idea on any level. Using current tech that people are actually buying is. Even people still forced to run those old P4's are not going to be buying a $50+ heatsink to cool them while someone buying a $500+ current CPU will be and they will not want to know or care to know how well it cools a P4. Also, a fully loaded Quad has a much higher heat output than any Prescott could ever hope for. I am not sure who said the Prescott is hotter than a Quad, but they have their facts quite wrong.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That's just it. The goal of testing (IMHO) is to test how well the cooler performs at removing heat, not to test how well it cools a specific CPU. As long as all the CPU coolers are used to test the same Pentium 4 at the same overclock setting, anyone from a dualcore to a quadcore to a user that plans to overclock his 65nm Q6600 to the wall will know what is the best performing cooler at removing heat.

Was the first link I found: Link Pure power consumption isn't the only facet though, the Pentium 4 Prescotts also introduced extremely high levels of leakage, which made them hotter than pure power consumption figures would suggest. Overclock one to 4GHz, it should easily be par for a 65nm Quadcore or potentially exceed it depending on voltages. A Prescott should easily outheat any 45nm Quad running at the same frequency.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Kougar, you are probably the only single person on the internet who cares how well anything cools a P4. There is no comparison. Even if, and I mean if, the P4 was hotter, NOONE that runs a $50+ CPU cooler will ever run it on one. People want to see coolers installed on systems that are atleast LIKE theirs. The QX6850 may have been a high end CPU, but it was still a Core 2 Quad like the millions of Q6600's out there. I would consider using something like a Peltier that could be controlled to get a set heatload but even that has severe limitations in my book because it takes the motherboard out of the equation.

I just do not agree with you on this. I realize you are only talking about the heat aspect from the P4, but using such an outdated CPU would scream noob.

@ Krazy K, I do not have that cooler to test with so I cannot answer your question at this time.

Krazy K

Partition Master
That's just it. The goal of testing (IMHO) is to test how well the cooler performs at removing heat, not to test how well it cools a specific CPU.

Exactly. What would be ideal is if there as a system kept operating for nothing but testing CPU coolers. That way you would be able to see how well they stack up against each other, and not against a specific CPU. I don't care if a Prescott runs hotter than a quad above 3.5ghz only on Tuesdays if you had Fruit Loops for breakfast.

IMO it is irrelevant to keep testing coolers in pairs on different systems and not under identical conditions. Does this make sense, hard to word it exactly how I'm thinking it. I have too much calculus in my head this late to think straight.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Disagreeing is fine, I'll respect that.

This is just why I like Madshrimps for cooler reviews. Just look at all those results: Link

Because they have so many coolers tested with their old P4 platform, they're working on new ways to present the info. Link2

Personally, I don't care if people used an old XP 3200+ CPU, whatever they use I just want to know the heat load meets or exceeds that of current processors. 45nm Quads are too cool, either OC'd 65nm Quads or OC'd Pentium Ds 800-series would be the hottest things I know.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
While I do agree that using a hot processor is a good idea, I just don't think it looks good on us if we'd go back to use a P4. Some people might realize the reason, but others might take a look at us and think we're retarded.

We use recent processors because it's what people use in their main machine. One cooler might cool a P4 better, but no one is going to pick up a $50 CPU cooler for a CPU that costs less than that. We overclock the processors as far as we can, within reason, to push the temps harder than stock.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Personally, I don't care if people used an old XP 3200+ CPU, whatever they use I just want to know the heat load meets or exceeds that of current processors. 45nm Quads are too cool, either OC'd 65nm Quads or OC'd Pentium Ds 800-series would be the hottest things I know.

If you want to know if they can meet the heat loads of current processors, then why would I test with anything BUT a current processor? You just completely contradicted your own argument.

As for other sites, they test their own ways, It is up to you as to who you trust and such. We have a rather rigid methodology and testing process that I believe gives us better results than most. In the end, I always tell people to not use only one site for the absolute answer, but to use 2-3 and compare to get what you want to read.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I just don't think it looks good on us if we'd go back to use a P4. Some people might realize the reason, but others might take a look at us and think we're retarded.

That's true enough, unfortunately. And again is why I respect y'alls decision to not go that route. Although I'm definitely not one of those people. :D

If you want to know if they can meet the heat loads of current processors, then why would I test with anything BUT a current processor? You just completely contradicted your own argument.

I don't think so. Heat is heat, I don't care where it comes from as long as I know the total amount of heat meets (or better) exceeds that of current processors. A heat load is still just a heat load.

One of the biggest issues I have is convincing people that XYZ cooler is significantly better than ZYX at the same price, usually because it's almost impossible to find both very popular and well known enthusiast coolers shown in a single chart using the same testing configuration. In my view, the emphasis needs to be on comparing coolers to one another...

I almost alway see posts asking for recommended coolers, and the person typically grabs a Zalman 9500, or now actually the 9700 after a bunch of random suggestions. For the $60+ price of that cooler, there are much better performers like the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme that cost less.

Krazy K

Partition Master
How many of these fit the existing back plates? I really don't want to pull my board out to put in a new cooler. Have any recommendations on a top tier cooler that doesn't need a proprietary mounting system?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I could be wrong, but I thought the only coolers that could be used without a proprietary backplate were those that used those ridiculous thumb mounts that Intel's stock coolers use?

Krazy K

Partition Master
*shrugs*
I don't have know, I don't have an Intel chipset. Did all of them require their own back plate?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
A backplate is just a backplate, due to how my waterblock mounts I could install almost any 775 backplate, use the crazycool gimmick thing as a backplate, or not use a backplate at all (as is currently the situation). Intel boards do not come with backplates, and many Intel coolers don't use any.

I don't know which air coolers allow universal backplates off the top of my head, you'd be best finding good coolers in yer price range, and then researching their installation methods for them. Just about any cooler that is NOT a stock, pushpin design will require a backplate or board removal to install..

Krazy K

Partition Master
The aftermarket one I have on now mounts on the stock adapter, but every other cooler that worth its weight will have its own unique mounting system. That's kinda what I was asking, if this one can do it I'm sure there has to be another out there that will mount like this but cool better.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Is this good luck or what?
I decided on picking up that Thermalright Ultra 120 to go with my new 9800GT and I didn't realize that it was fan-less. In the review it said it would work best with top-mounted PSUs with bottom facing fans. Well how about the rotated chipset of the M2N32 and the twin top-mounted 120 exhaust fans, I think I'll be able to get below 44idle/52load with my semi-pro cooler.