Could Universal Notebook Power Adapters be in Our Future?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I love mobile computing, but unlike most people, I can't stand using mobile phones or similar devices to get work done on the go, except for the absolute simplest of needs. I tend to turn to notebooks quite often, and if I leave town, I make sure one's never that far from me. If I leave the hotel, I put up with the lack of technology until I return (and oddly, it's nice this way).

cm_notebook_power_070510.jpg

Read the rest of our news post here and discuss it here!

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
My main PC is my notebook. I never leave the house without it since I use it in many aspects of my life. Lucky for me, my notebook's adapter is semi-universal in that it uses a standard plug that is shared by a great many other machines and electronic devices. That's not to say I could get one anywhere, but atleast there would be a chance.

This is LONG LONG overdue and something that really needs to be made a reality. This would make it easier for all once implemented since manufacturers could just order from the same sources for all notebooks/netbooks and it should even lower the price as well, although I doubt we'd see much of a drop on the consumer level.

Anyhow, DO IT PC CORPORATIONS. This is a great idea.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Just look at the Mobile Phone market, they started the switch over to USB charging (though some still have the USB connector attached to some random pin configuration). Look at the figures and it’s scary, over a billion people get a new phone each year, how many of them would need a separate charger, and then how many end up in a landfill after they get another phone?

People have been able to buy semi-universal laptop/notebook chargers for some time, but usually they are manual voltage selection and come with 100’s of ‘ends’. A universal charger will only really work if laptop manufacturers stick to certain voltages as well, since they currently go from 9v to 24v with 0.1v increments. Plus, manufacturers will just find another ‘essential’ to make proprietary and have you fork out a premium for it.

"We have decided to remove the power button to both save space and improve user experience by implementing a new webcam based motion capture system for gesture control. Now you must perform a lap-dance or do the dishes to ‘turn-on’ your computer. However, an external peripheral will be made available for $49.99, allowing for direct control over the two power states (on and off). A separate peripheral is required for ‘sleep’ state."

madstork91

The One, The Only...
This would also mean buying a $20-30 solution for laptops when traveling internationally. Something a lot of my friends would LOVE.

I am for standards like this that prove to be so amazing for the customers that people take them for granted not even a year after they have them, but I find it hard to believe that companies like compaq HP and dell would do this.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
As long as the charger is capable of powering the laptop, sure! I was approached for doing a universal laptop charger review four years ago, but I had to decline given my Pentium M laptop would have exceeded the 100W limit on the charger. :D

For most non-performance/DTR notebooks though, a universal charger with an industry standard AC plug would be a great thing.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I like this idea. I wouldn't mind seeing 2-3 different sizes of adapters though, for varying levels of power requirements. I liken it to a gas station. You can try and fill your tank with diesel but you can't get the nozzle in because it's larger than the gasoline nozzle. This would prevent a lot of confusion.