Could GTA IV Downloadable Content Include Full Cities?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It was discovered the other day that most, if not all of the initial Grand Theft Auto IV reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but if that wasn't enough to get you excited, then maybe the latest rumor to hit the wire will do the trick. According to Computer and Video Games' new GTA Collector's Edition magazine, Rockstar may be planning to include complete cities as downloadable content.

At first glance it's easy to think, "Yeah, right!", but the fact of the matter is, it is possible. But as usual, there are so many facts to look at. First and foremost, the revamped Liberty City in GTA IV will be smaller than the map in San Andreas, so adding another city seems unlikely. But on the other hand, Microsoft did pay $50 million for the rights to exclusive content. Could the game itself even cost $50 million to develop?

The fact of the matter is, and also the sad reality, is that the Xbox 360 will be seeing the bulk of the DLC, whether or not it will be an entire city... completely unfortunate for those who plan on purchasing the PS3 version. Like most things, we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
grandtheftauto_iv_042108.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
...but GTA IV is set to completely redefine the idea with expansions that are to GTA IV what Vice City or San Andreas were GTA III. Yes, Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities; and the chances of them being London, Vice City or SA again are slim to none. So that's new as in brand new. GTA IV's Liberty City is the beginning. Think about that and be excited.

Source: Kotaku

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha. I admit, I cannot WAIT for this game. I didn't touch San Andreas too much (though I do own it), but played Vice City to death. It could be the hype that's getting me riled up for IV, but after reading a few developer interviews, the game was no doubt created by the right people.

Not to mention the fact that all initial reviews were overwhelmingly positive... that's a pretty good sign if I ever saw one. Now to wait for one of those to actually hit the wire.