CoolIT PURE Silent Liquid CPU Cooler

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Having the ability to overclock a Quad-Core processor while keeping your machine quiet used to be a pipe-dream, until CoolIT's latest CPU cooler came into the picture. With the PURE, we managed a nice 3.67GHz clock on our QX6850, all while being able to hear our hard drives over the cooler.

You can read Bill's full review here and discuss it here.

U

Unregistered

You have got to be joking, 84'c is way too hot for a cooler, especially water.

It seems this is a pretty poor cooler...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

I have the same CPU and managed to have it hit the same temperatures with water, at stock, so for a nice overclock and to be kept within reason is great. You also need to remember that this is pushing towards a good performance/silence ratio.

Trying matching those same temps with that overclock on air or water... while keeping things silent. Not going to happen.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Do you think this water cooling device is suited for a HTPC?
Is it to big for case like this one (http://www.hard-h2o.com/review/cajas/nox-media.html)?
Or not that quite?
Am I better with a passive cooler and a couple of fans to extract the heat from the case?

Thanks!

No, it wouldn't fit in that case. You need a straight shot from the 120MM fan opening in a traditional case.

You seem to not really understand what acceptable temperatures are for a processor. Considering it was nearly silent AND running almost 3.7GHz I was beyond impressed with my results. Couple that with the reality that almost noone on the planet Earth runs their CPU 24/7 full CPU load and you'll see that my results were more than acceptable. In fact, even if you were to fully load it 24/7 @ 85C, you would not shave 1 minute of life off your processor. Too many people are foolishly obsessed with keeping their temperatures artificially low. That is just not necessary.

I should also add that this cooler is also found for under $100 retail. Even a top of the line heatsink with a leaf-blower 100CFM+ fan will cost you roughly the same to get somewhat better results. This cooler was silent.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I wish they had a 120 mm fan. Can their fan be removed and be replaced by a 120mm fan? Would that make it more efficient and quieter?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
It does use a 120MM fan. It would be nearly impossible to make it any quieter. In fact, adding a more powerful high CFM fan to it would probably make it more effective. As for efficient, this cooler is not geared towards overclocking, especially with a Quad core. This cooler is perfect for the people wanting to run stock or slightly overclocked in near silence.

U

Unregistered

I thought it was a 92 mm fan. I want to use it on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 overclocked only to about 2.7 in an Ultra X Blaster case which has one 120mm intake fan but has two side vents. Will my overall system be cool enough? I'm planning of having 4 HD and a HD2600XT video card. Thanks

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I would have to say it will cool that system fine. 2.7Ghz is not much of an overclock, and as you saw with my testing results, 3GHz was running 65C or so which is well withing the acceptable temperature range. I would expect you to get the same or maybe even slightly lower temps with the PURE.

Irse

Obliviot
I just registered.

I guess my main concern was the rear 120 mm fan will now be partially blocked so will there be enough heat dissipation for the whole system? Thanks for all of your help. Trying to get a system built (by a friend) that will be cool enough and quiet.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The read 120MM fan opening wil be hardly if at all blocked by the pure. It will push air through it nearly as effectively as if there were just a fan there. You will still get entire system cooling.

Irse

Obliviot
Right now I have a Noctua NH-U12F on order and was going to use it with a Scythe fan. Cooling a Q6600 with minor overclocking in a Ultra X Blaster case, which would you use if you had to chose between the two?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
To be honest, this cooler will not do any better than that air setup. The PURE is more for silence. If you don't want to hear it, the PURE will be better. If you don't care about sound, get a 75CFM fan on that Noctua and it will cool better. BUT, the Pure will keep it under 65C even up to 3.2GHz.

S

Sven

65nm :/

I think this product will really shine on the 45nm chips which are considerably less toasty to begin with.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We chose to use the 65nm QX6850 because it's hot as hell. No sense using an expensive CPU cooler on a CPU that doesn't require advanced cooling.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Whether or not anyone agrees with us, I still feel very comfortable stating that this product's ability to keep that furnace of a Quad under 90C (mostly under 80C) is impressive. You could almost certainly mod it with a louder fan and get better results. The silence is the key thing that just completely won me over.

U

Unregistered

Freezone Cooler vs. Bigwater 760i???

I was wondering reading both reveiewson the Freezone Coolers, the Pure and the elite, how they both would compare to the bigwater 760i?

My QX9650 is only 45nm, but OC'ed still gets quite hot under load.

So it worth investing in the Freezone Elite, and replace the Bigwater, which is anyway quite load when turned up to full cooling capacity.

Any advice?

Thanksmuch, Michael