Consumer Reports Updates Tablet Charts; Places New iPad at the Top

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We posted a story last week that questioned whether or not the iPad 2 was better than the third-generation iPad, with heat and battery concerns topping the reasons. Consumer Reports was one publication to jump on the latest iPad for heat issues, and it found that on average, certain areas of the device could run as much as 14°F warmer than the iPad 2. According to its updated charts, however, that added heat is not a reason for concern.

apple_ipad_3_hand_040212.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
They do mention battery recharge issues when playing demanding games. But nothing about those 9 hours full recharge time. More and more I'm starting to doubt that gizmodo report. I just don't think it's possible for Apple to release a model with a 1/1 recharge ratio. That would never pass QA.

Maybe they got a faulty iPad.

marfig

No ROM battery
That's it then.

This was the source (under the "No Like" heading, if you wish to skip the rest of the article). But it doesn't surprise me really. Hard to trust gizmodo on anything, even when they are reportedly disappointed on the new iteration of their favorite device.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
That's it then.

This was the source (under the "No Like" heading, if you wish to skip the rest of the article). But it doesn't surprise me really. Hard to trust gizmodo on anything, even when they are reportedly disappointed on the new iteration of their favorite device.

I have stopped going to Giz for no other reason that I can't stand Jesus Diaz.

MacMan

Partition Master
What's most important is what actually owners think of their products, their satisfaction ratings if you will.

According to the first major survey done by Changewave, owners are not only extremely pleased or satisfied with the new iPad, but consider it better than the previous two versions.

I've played with the new iPad at Futureshop which leave their demo units running 24/7 and I've noticed absolutely no heat issues. The new iPad, after running non stop for days, felt great... there was virtually NO heat issue as far as I'm concerned.

I know better than to buy any Apple product the minute they come out. I prefer to wait three or four months to give them time to work out any kinks, and after viewing that HD screen, I might just buy myself one. The screen really is something that you have to see to believe as some have written.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
I'm still not sure the heat thing is such a big deal to begin with. I and every other iPad owner I know use them in a sleeve of some sort, and so never really feel it to begin with. Though maybe the new one is hot enough to feel even through that? Granted, I don't have a 3rd-gen yet and probably won't for some time... but I'm glad to see that the coverage is a little less biased.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
... but I'm glad to see that the coverage is a little less biased.

I don't get how it's biased at all. It's a simple thermal photograph of the undersides of both the iPad 2 and the new iPad. The new iPad is clearly warmer. It's not going to set your house on fire but it's a pretty black and white issue. Either it isn't warmer or it is. The verdict states that it is. The word bias gets thrown around more than I think it needs to be and I think that widens the divide between those that approve of Apple and those that do not.

Speaking of the display of the new iPad. Apple, please bring this to my next MacBook. Please.

I have spent some considerable time with all three versions of the iPad and yes, the the new screen is beautiful but these arguments about which is better and which is inferior. The new iPad will sell so let the numbers speak for themselves. Better or worse, its popular so who gives a shit. We all get in a tizzy when we read op-ed pieces on new devices. They are people's opinions. Let them have them.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have spent some considerable time with all three versions of the iPad....

I don't own an iPad. That should be stated. My boss has one and when I fill in for him on meetings, I use it to take notes. If the meeting gets boring enough or it's a teleconference, I play Angry Birds. Whatever.