CoD4 Disp Drivers Issues

Krazy K

Partition Master
I just started playing CoD4 online and it seems that everything is working against me. I keep getting the message that says "atikmag.exe has crashed but recovered successfully."

I find that I'm not the only one with this problem, yet no one seems to have found the solution. It seems to be effecting both ati and nvidia cards and xp and vista, but only the x64 version. I have installed fixes and uninstalled updates but I still crash. My monitor sometimes will say "input not supported" or it just flickers and goes black.

I can back down the resolution to 800x600 and it doesn't seem to happen but when I set my 22 Acer to anything higher than 800x600 it's just a matter of time. I have AA and AF off, most things are set to the lowest setting, dual cards is no and dxdiag says I have 10.1 and there are no problems.

It seems that I have traded my hardware problems in for software this time. Anyone know the fix for this or how to get around it or should I just get a new game?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I just started playing CoD4 online and it seems that everything is working against me. I keep getting the message that says "atikmag.exe has crashed but recovered successfully."

I find that I'm not the only one with this problem, yet no one seems to have found the solution. It seems to be effecting both ati and nvidia cards and xp and vista, but only the x64 version. I have installed fixes and uninstalled updates but I still crash. My monitor sometimes will say "input not supported" or it just flickers and goes black.

I can back down the resolution to 800x600 and it doesn't seem to happen but when I set my 22 Acer to anything higher than 800x600 it's just a matter of time. I have AA and AF off, most things are set to the lowest setting, dual cards is no and dxdiag says I have 10.1 and there are no problems.

It seems that I have traded my hardware problems in for software this time. Anyone know the fix for this or how to get around it or should I just get a new game?
Sounds to be a resource issue, If you are not using, something like firewire, then disable that, reboot and try it again.
Some resources running in the background conflict or hog shared componants.

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you using the absolute latest drivers (8.11)? There was an issue a few months ago similar to this that was stomped out, as far as I know, so you might want to upgrade to the latest drivers and see if the problem goes away.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Absolutely positive. I grabbed them the day I got the card, I didn't pull the drivers from the cd.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I guess the second question would be, are you running the latest available patch? Are you checking for overheating, or anything like that? It's a strange issue, especially if that's the only game it's happening with.

I've used that game with both NVIDIA and ATI on both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista and have never ran into an issue like that, or an issue at all, really.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Are you running Asus Smart Doctor?...if so, disable or shut it down.....there seems to be some conflict with others that are playing that and other games as well

Krazy K

Partition Master
Still working on this but I think I might be getting somewhere. I moved the computer to another desk so technically I'm somewhere else....

Actually I had a crash and for some reason I grabbed a dimm and for gods sake what that sob hot. So when memory gets hot, goofy things might happen, but could that crash a driver? I'm not really a software guy but I don't see why it can't be possible. I pulled one stick out to give the other more room to breathe and I'll game for a bit tonight and post again.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Nope, I just joined a game and within 3 seconds everything turned a shade of blue.
EVGA Precision says I'm running 90fps at about 70*C

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If you suspect the RAM is overheating, do a Prime95 Blend run to test the RAM for a bit with the room a bit warm or case fans at a typical speed. If you get any errors then put a fan on your memory and repeat to see if they go away.

Those Corsair XMS2 kits WILL overheat easily with 4 modules crammed in a motherboard, I've had this problem for ages. If your RAM is to hot for you to hold a finger to, then it needs a fan regardless IMHO. Once that stuff overheats stored 0's become 1's or 1's become 0's, which naturally corrupts whatever program, driver, thread, or whatever the data belongs to. It leads to some very hard to diagnose issues from my experience.

Krazy K

Partition Master
I was thinking that I take every fan I can point at something and run them all. If I get the same errors it isn't heat related, but if I can play for an hour or two then maybe heat was the problem. I'd hate to think that it is, the Cosmos with it's 4 stock 120s and my thermalright ultra 120 I shouldn't have a problem...but we did put a comedian in the senate. Sorry, 'we' didn't, 'they' did.