CM Storm QuickFire Pro Gaming Keyboard Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As we discovered in our review, Cooler Master's QuickFire Rapid mechanical keyboard is a good one. But, it lacked a couple of things that some gamers (like me) demand. Such things include backlighting, a numpad, and in rarer cases, N-key rollover support. All of these things can be found on the QuickFire Pro, so let's check it out.

Check out our full look at Cooler Master's CM Storm QuickFire Pro mechanical gaming keyboard and comment here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Hmm, I've seen mechanical keyboards with N key rollover available during POST. The only difference is that they were PS/2 keyboards. In fact the n key rollover is said to require PS/2 and USB is not advised.

It's the first time I hear that an USB NKRO keyboard doesn't respond during post because of a motherboard issue. I always thought that was a limitation of the USB stack, not a flaw.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It might in fact be a PS/2 limitation, not a mobo/BIOS limitation. In looking around it did seem that PS/2 was better supported for N-key rollover, but until this keyboard I literally never heard of the term before.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
This is a back up k/b to think about. I practically need the dedicated media keys, which is why I only gave it a quick look before making the K60 the forerunner for a primary k/b in the coming months.

marfig

No ROM battery
It's not the lack of media keys that surprise me the most. Although, for sure, one must wonder why even a volume control is missing. What really make me wonder is this apparent tendency of new gaming keyboards to lack any macro keys. I'm at loss...

And on the case of this particular one, a keyboard entitling itself "Pro", of all things.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It's a good Cherry MX keyboard at a better than average price. Especially with partial LEDs. Equivalent keyboards tend to cost between $20-40 more. I may have bought one of these if they had been launched several weeks earlier.

As for the lack of macro keys, those would require drivers to support. The beauty of these mech keyboards is that there are no drivers to install or update. No driver is needed for volume control or basic media keys though, so that part at least befuddles me.