Close Look at Gametap

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,sans-serif]GameTap is a new application that boasts a hoard of video games for the biggest of gaming enthusiasts, with many old and new game titles from multiple platforms and systems. It promises all the games in their original formats, total old school glory, and you can access the GameTap [FONT=Arial,Verdana,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Verdana,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]network right from your desktop, all in one. GameTap also promises new game releases often, new content and original programing for their MediaPlex within the GameTap software[FONT=Arial,Verdana,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Verdana,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]. Itching for some old school gaming? Then lets dive right in!

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Verdana,sans-serif]After checking out the full article, feel free to discuss it here! Questions and comments are welcomed.
[/FONT]

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Dead Duck with new life?

I'll first point out that this forum has talked about GameTap before: http://forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?t=241

This being said, 300 games is quite alot mroe than was on their list of available games, and I'm glad to see their now available games match up better with what they are advertising online. Jen hit on my main concern about it at the end of the review though. $14/month to play sonic? You cant tell me the liscensing fees - advertising profits = enough of a debt to justify $14/month.

Edit:

That link I gave to the other post is worth checking out... the site I was commenting on was hillarious and worth a cheap laugh!

Last edited:

Jen McPherson

Resident Artist Nerd
Yeah

Thats what I think. The average MMO costs the same, so if someone were to really want to choose between that- which can be played via Dial-up or GameTap- then they would absolutely go for the MMO. I have no doubt.

Not saying that in the future, GameTap might not be worth it. It possibly could, with the right games and services. Just at this time I don't find it worth that hefty monthly fee. ^^

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, not everyone are into MMO's, so this may be a good alternative. To be honest though, I'd rather just join Pogo.com or something, until Gametap can really shine in the titles area.

U

Unregistered

lol, i'll probably get told not to come back for posting this... but if I want to play a game of Sonic, I'll just load up the rom on a Genesis emulator. Or if I wanted to do it completely legally, I'd skip the hassel of trying to play it with my keyboard or a non-Genesis controller, spend $20 and buy one of the new plug and play Sega "systems" and get a couple other games to go with it. $20, and it's mine to keep, forever.

Z

Zagroseckt

Nice app.

I took up the free trial. 2 weeks cool.
And i think i'll keep it around for a while.
I'm glad to see a legit use for emulation. and i'm suprised to see just how far up the line theve emulated sega. but honistly SEGA!
ok they have intelevision and atari but honistly whers NES SNES and the GB GBC (ok i can see no gba its still out and active) But howbout some n64 games?
And an option to buy eather (adapters)/(custom usb controlers) that apear and function as the Real controlers did (it would add to the value of the service) I'd cough out say 60-70 bucks for a set (i sed a SET) of controlers (were not talking 2 controlers here were talking a SET of controlers that feel/look like the orginals)

And to let people know.
You can now set the keyboard controls up and you can now load the game in the background *actuily up to 3 games* and even if GT logs you out it keeps downloading as you do not have to redownload the game as long as youve playd it recently or put it in favs so the service dosnt deside to delete it to make room for other games
GT now has a cache defalt is 5gig but you can set it to whatever. so those big windows games can sit on your drive now.

curintly to date 360ish tytles are avalible and i hope thers more (i know for a fact the gamegear has more tytles *peeks over and looks in big box of gamegear junk* yep definitly more than what they got. alltho i did see a few i dont have (sega was so far ahead of itself but never monoplised on its oun product so sad)

Now i hope to see some more systems out myself (ok there working on satern) {wow another sega} patern! lets see some TB16 and NeoGeo! !I WANT PUZZEL DE PON aka Bubble bobble2!

networking the games hmmm
Well for most of the consols excluding fight games thats not TO! hard altho i can see latincy ruining say streetfighter. but thers lots it wouldnt effect.
They could use some more action adventure tytles to. the dos folder is spars to say the least *ya dos* most of the action adventur stuff was dos. now i do see a few space quest tytles (alltho i havent playd them yet and i'm wondering how they handeld the look in the manuial cd protection they had) i thik i'll give that a look see.
they got the old txt zork tytles and zorkish tytles but whers return to zork i ask? hmm
and kinda need the manuil to paly zork.
it has maps and engin info you NEED as a first time adventure.

as for the mediaplex. hmm ok some funy shorts but god do they ever repeat!
and you end up watching one each time you launch a game.
in the mediaplex itself. no way to view past shows ive found yet! (X) cant full screen (XX) and the honda promo is L O U D E! about 5x louder than the rest of the audio in there (XXX) So untill they fix that up some i say the media plex is a joke.

Things the service needs in genril.
Chat!
It's broadband so lets see some chat. and some voice chat.
requierments.
moderated rooms
constent open rooms
user moderated/created rooms.
Game peek *if they get the networking thing going wich many a emulators do* lets have the option to peek in on peoples play.
Full blown hiscore system wouldnt work for a REAL emu but alot of the arcade emu's do keep highscore files.
say at the end you ave the option or it just sends your highscores from the arcade side.
*who wants to play pacman without having there name on the highscore list?*

personal rating
legit emulation 100% i like this idea.
decent windows selection 40% some good tytles but could use more. and they need to publish the manuials for the games.
mediaplex 20% looks promising but needs serious improvment.
comunity... What comunity.. 0% lets see some chat rooms. no webcams tho i dont wana see your shlong.

Overall
I give this service a 7 outa 10. worth the $ if you like having a nice game libary at your becon desposal.

ps max upload ive seen from GT is 3.1 Mega Bytes (not bits) per second. my cable systems max.
not bad. not bad at all.
Viacong took 45 minuts to download splintercell2 took 65 minuts
railrode tycoon3 took 30ish (sorry lost the postit on that one.)

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Controllers would be pimp...

Um might I ask where youre from or was that intentially a form of 1337?

W

Where i'm from.

Zagroseckt

New Orleans aeria.

And if your refering the the atroches spelling.
Don't i know it... Remember kids dont teach your self to spell it sticks!
No spell check on this comp. my main system got destroid in katrina.

And ya some emu frindly joypads would rule!

if your interested in how to mod some orginal pads/joysticks to work on a pc gime a gingle zagroseckt *at* the "hotmail" of the dot "com"

J

just your average joe

some thoughts

Hmm,

Well I like it... unlike many of you, I never played console games as a kid. I had lots of PC games, and would like to see some of those up there (especially Kings Quest series)

There are definite improvements to be made which have already been stated.
- media plex at this point is pretty trivial
- nintendo games would be great... my guess is that Nintendo is having a wait and see attitude toward the whole thing before selling rights to the games
- I've had my computer lock up, and some wierd screen problems. (this is probably my problem considering I'm using an older centrino laptop)
- online, multiplayer, forums, etc...
- competitions, prizes...

I'll probably cancel it, just because I don't have 15 bucks a month to spend on any computer games. But I've thouroughly enjoyed playing the games... and will occasionly check back to see if they have any more free trials to offer.

U

Unregistered

After looking at their game lineup so far, it's not worth $15/month.
You can get pretty much all the same games on the PS2:
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
Midway Arcade Treasures
Atari Anthology
Activision Anthology
Intellivision Lives
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Sega Classics Collection
Capcom Classics Collection
Taito Legends

Each of these is about $15, but you own them forever.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
That's a pisser Zag about your computer. I was fortunate enough to still have mine intact after the storm. Managed to haul it to here in Florida, but I'm still missing all my cds dvds and other pc stuffs.

My family was close to Bay St. Louis, (if you know where that is), less than 20 miles from the eye of the storm. I wish you all the best for the holidays and for the people in your area. Welcome again to TechGage!

Z

Zagroseckt

gametap

Well i hope they get nintendo soon myself but i'm not holding my breth to much on that.

did a little history seems this company had a bit of head butting early on with nintendo.
licensing over some game cart. during the early 8bit systems.
i could be rong. compiny names tend to sound alike.

As i'm still singed up with them i can say that they are adding games.
both console and pc.
allthough i am having a problem with one game i wana play :p keeps crashing on me. probly somthing i'm running in the backgorund gona try it on my laptop to see if thats my problem.
its not so cutting edge :p

Good news everybody!
i'm finly gona be able to get back home.
hopefuly around the 21st.
House is a reck (not as bad as most) but were going to have to replace some drywall and carpiting. and since were doing that were just gona go ahead and redo the flore tile in the whole house *needed to be redone*

Were getting a traler from fema hopefuly while all the drywall work is being done.

now for the gametap update
future.
i talked to the staff for a few hours and descused a few things
They are hoping to get some kinda chat comunity going.
wich would be a good thing.
they do have licenses for most of the sierra stuff so kings quest is probly gona show up eventuily.
(i hope they sucure the rites to the revamps of the early ones)

they rely hevily on custimer comment at this point so do use the sugestion box fetue in the game tap interface.

push to get some nes titels (probly gona be a while on that tho) the still have alot of stuff to put up.

mediaplex still isnt what it could be.

as far as actuial game play.
console wise.
without a gamepad most of the games are dificult to play.
and thats being genorus.
but with a decent gamepad.
all the atari and genisus mastersystem gamegear 32x play good.
dreamcast's gamepad response sucks.
once again this could just be my system.
c64. (never realy did many games one one so cant tell ya seems fine tho)
arcade. So far so good. M.A.M.E quality.
intelevision (forget it. without an orginal controler these games just dont work)

PC games.
now this is where some quility controle needs some improvement.
the dos games work fine.
however the windows games alltho 80% seem fine the remaining 20% need some definit patching griandia ii and empiere earth have serious crashing problems. (kinda sad realy gradia had me hooked till i got to the skyway) vox error game crash stuck! :(
empire earth alltho compleatly playabul crashes at the end of each campain senario when you quit. it's recorded you compleat it but you have to restart the game.

no problems with any fo the splintercell or fps's i've tried.
they all work true to the orginal

if thers a problem that requiers you to clean the game cache
YOU LOOS YOUR SAVES!
and there all in some kind of compresed incripted format.
to date i havent figured out how to extract the saves.

Over all i still love the service.
on a scale of 1-10 10=best
i give gametap a
#######
#
#
#
#
#
#

i hope they keep up the good work and improvements.

Z

Zagroseckt

my ascii didnt come through

All the "#" was suposed to be a stilised 7

madstork91

The One, The Only...
As I understand Nintendo is trying to release the Revo with an internet package to be able to play all the oldshool games for free... thats right I said free. I cant remember where I read that but I'm sure you can google it or ign it to find the info. If nintendo plans on that being a seling point (and I bet they do for older gamers) then I doubt you'll see gametap recieve NES titles untill a year or so after the revo.

As for the controllers... Gametap releasing usb controllers for each system included with one week free cards would be a great marketing idea. Their product would hit shelves and gain consumer recognition, and the controller problem would be solved.

J

just another gamer

$15/mo is kinda steep for a brisk walk down memory lane.

For the selection they have now, i'm unimpressed. If youre going to burn your bandwith on a (probaly abandon-ware) games you are basically renting, maybe torrents are the better way to go. Legal or not- I don't feel bad stiffing Atari it's dues for a game that my father played in 1981.

Sonic and some of the newer stuff? Well.. maybe worth it. I have to admit chasing the rings was addictive, but not 15 a month worth of addictive. Go to EBGames and buy a used GameGear (if they still have them floating around).

The newest games like splinter cell are nice, but i still feel that you are shelling out $$ for bargin-bin software. The what, 9th Clancy title just came out. SplinterCell (the first one) is $9 (and buy 1 get 1 free too!) at Best Buy (aka ripoff-software-central). You can do better than that almost anywhere.

Someday this may be a system, but I'm not impressed yet.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
To update things... The revo will be including ALOT of titles across MANY platforms. Game tap was a great idea... but 15/mo ... Revo 4 teh wen!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Revolution is to support Sega titles as well. Download the ones you want and skip the ones you don't. It's like candy!

U

Unregistered

gametap sux

dont waste money on gametap. you can get the same thing free on romhustler.net coolrom.com. emulator-zone.com . don't waste money on gametap