Class Action Against Best Buy's Price-Matching Policy

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
In the past week or two, we've been posting about Office Depot's less-than-stellar selling practices. One thing I made sure to mention, though, was that Office Depot is in no way the only company to stoop to such low levels, and it sure didn't take too long before dirt surfaced on another company: Best Buy.

The target here is Best Buy's price-matching policy, which seems to contradict itself depending on where you look. On their website, they make it sound like getting a price-match will be a hassle-free task, but according to an internal memo sent in 2006, that's not the case at all. In fact, employees are directed to exhaust every possible angle in order to not award a price match.

In the memo, there's a list of things to look for, to help build a case against the price match. For the most part, I agree with all of them, because if the model isn't the same, or if the other store is going out of business and are offering products at below-cost, it doesn't make business sense. The problem is that trying to get a price-match on product for legit means is too difficult, and that the company severely contradicts itself.

I'm going to hold off further comment until I see how this plays out. I make no secret about disliking Best Buy (and many others for that matter, including Best Buy's Canadian counterpart Future Shop), but it's one thing to accuse a company of doing something and them actually doing it. I'll be interested to see where this goes. Until then, I'll continue to wonder why people don't just purchase the product at the store with the lowest price to begin with.

best_buy_large_news_logo.png

Best Buy's defense for the existence of this document is that its author is a "long-standing employee with a sense of humor." Further evidence provided in the complaint belies that claim. Numerous Best Buy customers are cited as saying the retailer refused their requests on multiple occasions, or in cases where they already purchased the item, Best Buy told them to return it and pay a hefty restocking fee if they wanted to buy from a competitor with a lower price. This, of course, defeats the entire purpose of trying to get a price match in the first place.

Source: Ars Technica

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I won't buy from BB
Since I found out about the problems with extended warrantees, I mean, why purchase something, get an extended warrantee and then they fight you when you need to collect on the contract?
frack

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's the exact same thing with Future Shop in Canada. Is it a suprise that Best Buy owns them?

Is there another retailer as openly hostile to it's customers as Best Buy? It seems like every internal memo that leaks out of them has a "there's a sucker born every minute" vibe to it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Is there another retailer as openly hostile to it's customers as Best Buy? It seems like every internal memo that leaks out of them has a "there's a sucker born every minute" vibe to it.

Strange, huh? Despite that, most people go there first for their electronic needs...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I worked at the local Best Buy right out of college for all of a month. Best Buy can rot in hell. I don't have any bad stories of experiences, i just hate the fact that everything is so over priced compared to someplace like Newegg. I get my games from Target and my hardware from Newegg or Fryes. BB can suck it.

Ben

Site Developer
The fact of the matter is, retail can never compete dollar for dollar with Internet based companies. The cost just to move the products on the stores themselves negates any price difference immediately that BB could potentially pass on to the customer. Right off the bat they have to charge more or they loose money. Then you have to take into account operating expenses. I don't like extended warranties as much as the next guy, but its pretty easy to see why they sell them with the limited bottom line on every item sold.

As far as retail experiences go, when your being paid $10 an hour, do you really give a fuck? Nope and thats why you see so much bad customer service. The people working don't enjoy it any more than you do shopping there. Circuit City is gone (finally), and I think this is the end of the line for many of these shops. Logistically its much easier to operate an online business as you basically just need 1 big ass warehouse and your good to go. As more and more people become comfortable shopping online, I think we'll see these retail stores slowly decline in numbers. Perhaps even morphing into fronts for their online business where they only do returns and/or maitenance a la the Apple stores. Less is more in this case.

As far as retail experiences go, when your being paid $10 an hour, do you really give a fuck? Nope and thats why you see so much bad customer service.

That's always been an incredibly lame excuse for poor customer service. It really boils down to the corporate culture that pervades every level of Best Buy, combined with each individual's capacity for showing common courtesy. Besides, $10 an hour is more than fair for an employee with either no marketable skills or a lack of ambition. If you're worth more go get a better job - we're not on the caste system, there's no valid excuse for treating customers like crap.