Civilization V for $12.50, NFS titles for cheap

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Thank you. Picked up Civ 5, would have bought the need for speeds too but cant spend all my money lol. Hurricane killed my paycheck.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've been dying to get back into the game, but everytime I am about to, a new onslaught of games comes out :S

marfig

No ROM battery
Here's the thing... and it's a nice coincidence DLCs are being discussed on another thread:

I think I mentioned before -- not sure I did, but am doing it now -- that the civilization series is one of my most celebrated games of all times. I just love it to bits. Particularly when playing with other folks. So surely you'd expect me to excited when V came out last year, instead of having boycotted the game as I eventually done.

It was only by chance I actually didn't buy the game at the time. I just postponed it because in September and all the way to December I knew I wouldn't have any free time to spend on games. Those were some crazy months, I'm telling ya. But when I finally could have made it, there were already 3 different versions of the game out and one DLC if I remember correctly, with more to announced to come. That irritated me.

It's not enough that we already have to deal with DLCs having become a segmentation factor among the gaming community, but this horrible trend of selling different versions of the game depending on where or when you buy it, further contributes for players to not share the same game among them. In a game like Civilization this is particularly devastating if you want to play with others. Either you share the same DLCs and whatever extra content was on display the day you bought it, or you are limited to a number of stock civilizations to choose from, making your investment less attractive.

So at the time (this was around late February) I decided to boycott the game. I wouldn't think I would ever do something like that to a Civilization game. But I did and don't regret it. I'm a long time fan, since day 1. Some civilization games, like II and III I even have more than one copy that I would purchase when one friend couldn't so I had a playing LAN buddy. Sent an email to Firaxis telling them about my decision, which I don't care if they read or not (never got a reply) and, despite the excellent price of this offer, all I can say to Firaxis is to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. When they feel like returning to their roots and produce a game EVERYONE can enjoy in equal measure without that involving matching DLCs and extra content, I'll be again dealing with the inspirational Firaxis of old with their mind on maiing money (no doubt) but without sucking every bit of blood on my body.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When they feel like returning to their roots and produce a game EVERYONE can enjoy in equal measure without that involving matching DLCs and extra content, I'll be again dealing with the inspirational Firaxis of old with their mind on maiing money (no doubt) but without sucking every bit of blood on my body.

I could be off, but I have a feeling all of this has 2K Games to thank, not Firaxis. All recent 2K games have had DLC, and expensive DLC at that (Mafia II as a good example), so I blame it more on them than Firaxis. The fact also that both Mafia II and Civ had a patch within two weeks of each other that corrupted saved games kind of told me what kind of company 2K could be.

That said, I don't think you are missing much. I love Civ V a lot, but according to most people who've played anything before it, it pales in comparison. Civ V is just the first game that I actually played, so I am missing a lot in the history.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I love all the people who think DLC is ruining games, while If i were to care for a second. I would just pretend it doesnt exist.

Plenty of games where the DLC addons don't make their presence known if you dont have them. Others like the specact kit in BC2 where it doesnt really matter. DLC does carry the same problem expansion packs like star craft brood war did. They alienate people sometimes, but its nothing new.

I tend to buy deluxe editions or never buy the DLC. Its just like the DLC came with the release or never existed at all.

Last edited:

GFreeman

Coastermaker
That's a shame.. I bought Civ 5 Deluxe for the full price a while ago haha! I do think it's a great strategy game. I quite like it! I've been learning to play single player for a while and spend quite a few hours on it unnoticed :eek:

Recently I bought the NFS Hot Persuit 2010 game. Have you guys ever played that? I think in gameplay terms I think it relates to the good old fashioned NFS 3 days with todays graphics. Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5imMoYoSwXc

Last edited: