Chevy Camaro Convertible Concept

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
And to hear Smith tell it, that is just reward for the "serious but fun" process that it took to get the Camaro Concept finished. The design team included American, Russian, Korean, and French designers -- all of whom knew the import of the original Camaro.

When GM's Advanced Design Studio (ADS) in California was given the brief for the Camaro, they actually based their first sketches off the Gen 2 Camaro, produced from about 1970 to 1973. Then it was decided by the men in charge that not only did they need to use the first generation Camaro, they needed to use the 1969 model specifically. Smith said "It was more challenging than to use the Gen 2 car.

The Gen 1 was harder to make 21st century. A lot of the muscle cars around that time looked similar, and it was easy to slide into enemy territory." He mentioned the time he looked at a designer's sketch and thought he saw something familiar. "I said 'It looks like a Javelin.' And the designer said 'Yeah, I had one.' So he had to redo it."

I'm not really a Camaro fan, but this car is rather intriguing. Big, lean and mean, what more could you want? There are many things on the car that I am 50/50 on, but it sure beats Camaros from the 90's (imo).

Yes, we need a little more car talk on here.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevy-camaro-convertible-concept/242306/

Attachments

• 00_camaro_ab_wm---01.jpg
    00_camaro_ab_wm---01.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 566
  • 00_camaro_ab_wm---02.jpg
    00_camaro_ab_wm---02.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 546
  • 00_camaro_ab_wm---21.jpg
    00_camaro_ab_wm---21.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 554

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The firebird and the carmaro were always F body cars. It would be nice to see Pontiac do something more than throw a large hood scoop on the car and give it differant groud effects. I would love to see them do things a bit differantly.

As for the camaro, I dont dig the front of it all that much but the side picture looks amazing. They did a good job of capturing the look of the original in the new design.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Had they done something like that for the GTO I think it would've lasted far longer than it did. Say a version reminiscent of the '69-71 GTO. The reintroduced goat just wasn't a goat, it was a RWD Grand Prix.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Camaro wins here. I have never been a fan of most anything Pontiac makes... their front end design is a turn off. Other than that, the car is sharp.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If I was a little older I might feel that way, but for some reason I've never liked the look. To be honest though, I don't like most older cars. I tend to love the modernized versions though ;-)

moon111

Coastermaker
I've never been a fan of the 70's-90's Camaros or Firebirds. But I really dig the retro-styling. It's amazing that GM is such a follower though. I can't remember the last time they were the first one to grab a market segment. From the Mustang to the Minivan, GM is a follower and a copier. They wouldn't of had the balls to bring out a retro Camero unless they saw Ford selling Mustangs. Same with the SSR... saw Chrysler selling PT Cruisers. Hmmm.. oh yeah they're making Miata clones too.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Everyone follows. Pontiac started the whole muscle car movement with the GTO ('64, predates your beloved Mustang by a few months) and Ford created the whole Ponycar movement. Ford and everyone else followed GM with their larger muscle cars and GM and the penstar boys followed Ford with their take on the Ponycar.