Cheap Stereo for my PC

GapDragon

Obliviot
I've always been a big fan of connecting my computer sound output to a stereo and letting the stereo be the speakers. Computer sound equipment and speakers have gotten a lot more functional over the years, what with the controls and connectors on the speakers and the multiple channels on the card...

BUT STILL,
I would like to buy a SMALL stereo and connect my computer to it as a sound source. Any suggestions?? I have looked at some of the shelf systems available and they seem good, but only about half of them have any auxiliary inputs at all and finding out which do and which don't is turning out to be a VERY painful process.

Thanks for letting me vent,
GapD.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm.. it depends how much "Bang" you want.

I have a Altec Lansing set, that only cost me $100. They were since replaced by this set though.

I have a 5.1 sound card which helps too..

It's only around 100W I think, but it packs a punch for sure. You definitely don't need to go expensive. You may want to take a look at the 5.1 Logitech speaker sets too.. lots of good things being said about them.

Or.. maybe you could tell us how much you are willing to spend on some?

GapDragon

Obliviot
Nifty Speaker Set

Rob Williams said:
Hmm.. it depends how much "Bang" you want.

I have a Altec Lansing set, that only cost me $100...

Or.. maybe you could tell us how much you are willing to spend on some?

Your Altec Lansing's are kind of a hybrid between a straight up speaker set and an external stereo. I am especially impressed with their RCA inputs.

However, that's not what I had in mind at all. I want to use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...20/103-0234690-4628612?v=glance&s=electronics

...and I was wondering if anyone had done something like that.

G.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh gotcha. Never used one like that before, so I guess I can't help you there, hehe. Interesting looking set tho..

GapDragon

Obliviot
I have something similar now on my wife's computer -- I originally set it up on my 386 years and years ago:

I used a Realistic SA-150 amp and some speakers cannabalized from a long-deceased Radio Shack record player. The PC was connected to one of the line-ins on the amp. It very efficiently provided an on/off switch, a headphone jack, and a volume knob back before PC speakers had such amenities (and it cost about $20, not including the speakers).
Naturally, neither that amp nor anything like it is for sale anywhere....

Oh well,
GD

Serry

Obliviot
alot of the mini stereo systems can be used to hook up sources such as TV's and things of those likes. I dont see any reason why they could also work for your computer. A friend of mine just bought a system that really pounds and usually you can use them for any audio input as long as you have the right connectors.

GapDragon

Obliviot
Serry said:
alot of the mini stereo systems can be used to hook up sources such as TV's and things of those likes. I dont see any reason why they could also work for your computer. A friend of mine just bought a system that really pounds and usually you can use them for any audio input as long as you have the right connectors.

That's exactly what I want, but the stereo stores in my area truly stink. I'm trying to search for a mini stereo that DOES have some sort of AUX input (I won't hold my breath for coaxial or optical digital...) but even on-line shopping venues don't allow me to search on that. I have to read each product description -- and they're not always very helpful.

Can you tell me what system your friend bought??

Thanks,
GD

madstork91

The One, The Only...
My freshman year in college I had the audio out put split with a stereo spliter (meaning it takes the out and gives two outputs both with fully functional stereo) then I had one of the out going to my stock speakers (they had enough bump in them I still use em) and then the other output going to a L/R spliter that made the compatible with the inputs of my stereo. (I was soo bored, my school was in the middle fo no where) This was awsome I thought... I literally had the loudest shit on my floor :)

My suggestion...

Walmart had a few systems about a year ago i was looking at that literally had USB imputs on their front sides. Of the 3 I was looking at they had 350W, 300W, and like a 420W... I bought the 420W but i have yet to try to use it as it currently serves as my entertainment system for my TV...

Gl though man.

Mike Delorme

Obliviot
I have done this with my RCA Stereo. It has a 5 disc cd changer and everything. The only thing i have to do was take the old 1 plug conector from my last speekers and splice it with a generic stereo L/R Out cable. the sound is the shit.

Will Nave

E.M.I.
For cosmetics I would go with these: <click the image for spec's>

...all of which can be found at SharperImage.

If you are wanting to use a stereo in sink with your PC I think something along the designs of the above systems would go nicely, and provide great functionality as well. The 2nd from the top would work excellent for a PC linked stereo. Of course if you are looking for power more so than looks, go to froogle and find the most bang for your buck. ;)

Last edited:

Drew

E.M.I.
GapDragon said:
I've always been a big fan of connecting my computer sound output to a stereo and letting the stereo be the speakers. Computer sound equipment and speakers have gotten a lot more functional over the years, what with the controls and connectors on the speakers and the multiple channels on the card...

BUT STILL,
I would like to buy a SMALL stereo and connect my computer to it as a sound source. Any suggestions?? I have looked at some of the shelf systems available and they seem good, but only about half of them have any auxiliary inputs at all and finding out which do and which don't is turning out to be a VERY painful process.

Thanks for letting me vent,
GapD.

i would suggest an RCA system, they are reliable and will give you good sound and many of them have the features you want. i found this one at futureshop.ca

its 139.99 and free shipping if you live in canada.

hope that helps

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Yeah, I love Sharper Image products... sometimes they get a little pricey though. Their store is totally full of gadgets, not just stereo's and electronics either (thought that is mostly what they have).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't know if they ever sell Sharper Image in Canada, or at least where I am. I wonder what they are like in terms of quality, or are they mainly for looks.

Will Nave

E.M.I.
From my experience quality is pretty good. They sell the Ionic Breeze air purifiers and many many other products. I just bought an awesome self pressurizing showerhead from them last month, and damn it is awesome!

EL001-TN.JPG

...anyway...

Their products are usually of great quality and they have no problem backing them for the most part.