CES 2008: NETGEAR Press Conference

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Netgear's been positively humming with activity lately, averaging one product release per month in 2007 (with the exception of the holiday months.) We check in with them to see what they've got in store for us in 2008, and to put it plainly, we like what we see.

You can read the article here and discuss it in this thread!

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I hope the N series is better than that G series.
I install Linksys and Netgear routers and I usually have to go back and take out the netgear and put in the Linksys, due to dropped IP addresses.
The company has to buy both for installs, we can't buy one brand exclusively. And forget the RCA models.

I've only seen a few ( N series ) so far in the field and they have been great.

Merlin

Last edited:

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Bad news for you, then - my own Netgear N router has been dropping IP addresses lately. It started about six months after I bought it. I've also had two inexpensive Netgear internal adapters go bad on me, but they each took something like two years or more. Netgear products are indeed affordable, and I like their design, but I wish the longevity were there.

I wonder if a firmware upgrade could fix the problem, or whether it's in hardware.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I believe there was a QAM ( compression ) change in most cable systems and yes, it did effect some modems and routers.
So, a firmware update would be needed.

Merlin

Last edited: