CellFactor: Revolution

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It seems like we have been waiting on CellFactor forever, but the day has finally arrived. AGEIA has been touting this game for quite some time as the one to showcase all that their PhysX card is capable of. Was it worth all those delays?

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Sweet! I had forgotten all about this game. I hope it really is as good and as fun as it looks. :D

MakubeX

Partition Master
Bah, this sucks. I thought you could play the game without an Ageia Physx card. No Physx card, no CellFactor. :(

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
No, you can play the game without the card but you will not be able to play all of the levels. The three "extreme PhysX" levels, as they are being called by Ageia, make significant use of the Ageia PPU and unless your cool with frame rates in the single digits, you need to get a PhysX card. Look on the bright side though, they are only 150 bucks now.

Honestly, Cell Factor is a great multiplayer game. When the download goes live, I hope as many people grab it as possible because multiplayer on this game is very enjoyable. Single player however is pointless.

MakubeX

Partition Master
No, you can play the game without the card but you will not be able to play all of the levels. The three "extreme PhysX" levels, as they are being called by Ageia, make significant use of the Ageia PPU and unless your cool with frame rates in the single digits, you need to get a PhysX card. Look on the bright side though, they are only 150 bucks now.

Honestly, Cell Factor is a great multiplayer game. When the download goes live, I hope as many people grab it as possible because multiplayer on this game is very enjoyable. Single player however is pointless.

Oh, cuz I downloaded the demo and it said I couldn't play it cuz I didn't have the Ageia hardware, so I thought the full game would be the same. Good to know, thanks.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Yeah, that must be it, because I chose not to install the drivers when installing the demo. I thought I didn't need them since I had no Physx card. :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, that must be it, because I chose not to install the drivers when installing the demo. I thought I didn't need them since I had no Physx card. :p

The same thing happens with GRAW. It will require the AGEIA drivers even if you do not have the card, but it tells you that straight out. Not sure why the CellFactor game didn't.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Played CellFactor for a little while, it isn't that great, but hell is free. For a free game it's pretty good.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Why do you gotta call me a liar?

Honestly, I didn't care for the game either for the first week I played around with it but after I played it more and more, and I began to take charge of Bishop and learn the ins and outs of the psi powers. It was then taht the game became entertaining. Once my interest was in it, I started to enjoy the other 2 characters more and more. You can charge people with the Guardian and knock shit out of the way like a bull. It's really an entertaining way to waste some time. I am hoping that more and more people get the game and it becomes played online more and more. That and their SDK is free so people can modify the levels or create their own. Perhaps there will be a Counter Strike effect.... although not likely.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
No, I enjoy it more because I am a liar. :p

Perhaps you are right. Or, and this is quite possible, perhaps I like it more because I have want to like it more. This is something that I have been waiting for forever and maybe I just don't want to be let down.

Seriously though, I do enjoy it and it might be because of the PPU acceleration that the PhysX card provides. I should prove to be far more enjoyable when playing against other human beings though.