Can't Find an E8400? Pick the Xeon E3110 Instead!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I've posted a few times this week regarding stock of 45nm Xeon Quad-Cores that are becoming available all over the place, but now it's time to focus on the Dual-Cores, since there are many people who are looking for them, but are out of luck. It's hard to believe, but it's already been over fifty days since we reviewed the 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo E8400, and they still cannot be found in regular stock.

We posed the question earlier this week, and it applies here as well. Why not consider a Xeon? The E8400 equivalent is the E3110... the specifications are identical, so what's to lose? Nothing, that's what. In fact, you gain in most cases. While the E8400 retails for around $260 from most e-tailers when it's actually in stock, the E3110 costs $30 less.

I have to give props to NCIX, because they have been kicking ass lately with their stock and pricing. They are currently selling the E3110 cheaper than anyone else, at $207. Yes... this 3.0GHz Dual-Core offering is $207! The second-best price I could find was at PC Connection, where it's $230. Sadly, Canucks have to pay a small premium, but it's on par with the E8400, at $250.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
intel_penryn_dual_core_stock.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Though I'd still be quicker to recommend the Quad-Core X3350 that I mentioned in yesterday's posting, for those who insist on a Dual-Core (or straight-out don't need a Quad), then the E3110 is the right choice. Though overclocking success is different with each chip, our E8400 (retail chip) overclocked to a stable 3.83GHz using stock voltages, and chances are that the E3110 should not be much different.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm wondering the same thing, you would think better as its a higher binned part.

Anyone here in the US ever order from the US NCIX company before, just wondering about their shipping and support because they seem to have a better supply lately that most US based E-tailers.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Bunch of people have over in the XS forums, back when NCIX US had better supply of the Q6600 G0s so quite a few tried them. From what I recall results were pretty good regarding customer support.

Actually, now I remember what it was... NCIX has some guy that is actually a regular member of the forums and has posted a bit. I couldn't remember let alone find his name though...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
NCIX is great in Canada, but their presence in the US has been a little slow to catch on. They are obviously trying hard to change that, however.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I just may give them a try this time around when I get some cash rounded up........;)

Admittedly I'm still extremely unsure if I want a quad or a dual though, its really hard for me to decide between wants and needs this time around.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Do you fold regularly? My QC is a giant folding box, made my old folding farm obsolete by itself, so I don't even run them now to keep the energy bill down. Even overclocking the thing to 3.2GHz made it jump another 600PPD, its just silly. (It makes me giddy to contemplate a 4GHz QC Nehalem folding, but now I digress...)

You know all this already, but maybe it'll help make up your mind... Duals are certainly more practical. They give you much higher overclocks that yield better performance in most apps. Then again most benchmarking programs give more points to quads, so quads will always win with programs like 3DMark regardless. Besides folding I tend to heavily multitask though, so that was my excuse. Just depends if you plan to upgrade again in the near future or if you plan to keep your chip for a year or two, I guess....

Last edited:

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I don't really fold all that much anymore, raises the electric bill to much and I sort of got tired of it I guess.........

I do tend to multitask alot with several programs open at one time.

OC'ing and benchmarking is one of my biggest pass times, so I'm still unsure.

I guess it'll come do to what is around when I'm ready and how much cash I have at the time as well.