Canadian ISP (Rogers) Begins Testing Content Injection

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Because of the power that your ISP holds, it's been worried for some time that they could easily take advantage of your web-surfing to exploit a variety of scenarios. One of these came to light this past June, when a certain Texas ISP was caught inserting advertisements into webpages - even those that didn't have ads to begin with. Those that had ads, had some replaced.

There are a variety of other scenarios though, such as tracking, censorship and something that Rogers, a Canadian ISP, has just begun trialing.. injection of notices. According to Ars Technica, Rogers have injected bandwidth-usage notices into the Google.com homepage, as you can see in the thumbnail below. This... is wrong, and notices like these should be sent to the default ISP e-mail address, not pushed in your face into your internet.

I'm a Rogers Cable/Internet subscriber, but haven't seen such messages yet. I also don't think I come anywhere close to my monthly bandwidth allotment either, which might be why. While such a simple notice being injected into your page isn't a huge deal, it's notable because it could be a sign of what's to come, or at least what's possible.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
google_rogers_121107.jpg

Credit: Lauren Weinstein </td></tr></tbody></table>
Despite the fact that the message is exclusively a notice to subscribers about the service rather than commercial content, some proponents of network neutrality believe that third-party modification of web content-particularly at the ISP-level-fundamentally changes the nature of the Internet in detrimental ways.

Source: Ars Technica

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As far as I know, most ISPs charge users extra if they go over their monthly allowance, which in most cases is 60GB. Anything over is $1.50 per, which really, is not too unreasonable. When I first got a DSL connection in 1999, it cost $43.00 per month for 5GB of bandwidth per month. Each additional GB was $5.00, which at the time didn't even seem so bad... especially once I got rid of my paper route ;-)

Here are the current prices with Rogers, as of 12/12/07. It always surprises me to know that I had a super-fast DSL connection eight years ago, and it cost me less than the standard connection today.

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td>Extreme Plus</td><td>18Mbps</td><td>90GB</td><td>$99.95</td></tr><tr><td>Extreme</td><td>8Mbps</td><td>100GB</td><td>$52.95</td></tr><tr><td>Express</td><td>7Mbps</td><td>60GB</td><td>$44.95</td></tr><tr><td>Lite</td><td>1Mbps</td><td>60GB</td><td>$32.95</td></tr><tr><td>Ultra-Lite</td><td>256Kbps</td><td>60GB</td><td>$22.95</td></tr></tbody></table>
The last one in particular is humorous. In order to hit your 60GB allowance, you'd have to cap your download for a straight 27 days.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
you dont think they did a cost benefit for that do you? 0.o

... the express is such a jump in speed from lite...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The Extreme is not much of a jump from Express either, which makes the extra $8 seem like a waste. Of course, I think they are selling the extra bandwidth allowance than the actual speed difference. I might try out the Extreme Plus in the future, maybe after the new PC is built. I don't have an "extreme" need for such speed, but it would be very useful at times.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
As far as I know, most ISPs charge users extra if they go over their monthly allowance, which in most cases is 60GB. Anything over is $1.50 per, which really, is not too unreasonable. When I first got a DSL connection in 1999, it cost $43.00 per month for 5GB of bandwidth per month. Each additional GB was $5.00, which at the time didn't even seem so bad... especially once I got rid of my paper route ;-)

Here are the current prices with Rogers, as of 12/12/07. It always surprises me to know that I had a super-fast DSL connection eight years ago, and it cost me less than the standard connection today.

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=300 align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Extreme Plus</TD><TD>18Mbps</TD><TD>90GB</TD><TD>$99.95</TD></TR><TR><TD>Extreme</TD><TD>8Mbps</TD><TD>100GB</TD><TD>$52.95</TD></TR><TR><TD>Express</TD><TD>7Mbps</TD><TD>60GB</TD><TD>$44.95</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lite</TD><TD>1Mbps</TD><TD>60GB</TD><TD>$32.95</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ultra-Lite</TD><TD>256Kbps</TD><TD>60GB</TD><TD>$22.95</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The last one in particular is humorous. In order to hit your 60GB allowance, you'd have to cap your download for a straight 27 days.

I guess those are the download speeds, but what is the upload speed?

moon111

Coastermaker
211343780.png

Bell Sympatico. Most expensive DSL connection. (They do offer fibre optic service in some areas in Toronto I believe.) Comes with garbage antivirus suite and a wireless router/modem combo.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Merlin, you have a great upload, and one I'd love to have. On the Extreme Plus package, I think it's 1Mbps up. Right now, my -real- upload speed is around 60Kb/s, or 512Kbit/s.