Building PCs for friends pays off!

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
My friend's dad does a lot of video/photo editing, website building, etc. All of which require a lot of CPU power. He had been trying to do all of this on outdated AMD CPUs. By outdated I mean his setup before I built him one was an AMD Athlon X2 @ 2.2GHz, 3GB DDR2 RAM, on-board ATI graphics via HDMI, and a case with one vent and one exhaust fan.

He was tired of using the SD reader on his printer (which would hardly ever work correctly) so he bought a 3.5" SD reader, and plugged it into the wrong port on his motherboard, setting the SD reader on fire and causing a short circuit that killed his PSU. He then got a Thermaltake 430W PSU from Best Buy and plugged it all up (and took out the charred SD reader)...but he didn't put it on the right way. The 24-pin connector on his PSU was a 20+4-pin, and the 4-pin part didn't quite make it into the socket. Thus, his PC was always freezing up, running really weird and I believe he damaged the mobo and CPU when the SD reader short circuited.

He called me the other day asking about these PCs he was looking at on Wal-Mart's website. The one he was interested in had an i5-2310, 12GB of DDR3 1333 RAM, onboard NVIDIA graphics (that turned me off of it immediately), 1TB HDD, and Win7 x64 Home Premium. It was about $700. I was like woah wait, I can build you something just like that for about $100 less. So I went over there the next day, built him a list of parts on newegg, and he ordered them. Came out to about $570 after tax + shipping. When the parts arrived, I went back over there to build it for him. I thought I could salvage the case he had been using and just put a 120mm fan on the side vent and put a new one on the exhaust vent. Well lo and behold, I go to put the new motherboard in and it's too big. I should have known, kinda expected that. So after that I went onto Best Buy's website and one about 45 minutes from his house had a few Antec 300's in stock. I was like PERFECT and I went to Best Buy with his son to get it. I get back, and set it all up and it runs perfectly fine, and all his photo/video editing software open like they were minimized. He was amazed at how fast it was, and I told him that his last setup wasn't adequate to run any of that software, ESPECIALLY with only 3GB of RAM, and that this new one should keep him going for the next few years. Here's the final parts list:

Parts he bought:
Intel Core i5-2310
GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB
ASUS DVD +/- RW
Antec 300 Mid-Tower

Parts I used from the original:
Thermaltake 430W PSU
500GB Seagate SATA HDD
1.2TB WD Caviar Green SATA HDD

Put it all together and installed all the drivers and it works perfectly. He asked how much I owed him for my trouble and I said "don't worry about it, it's not a problem." He pulls out the change I gave him back from the Antec tower which was $50, and handed it to me and goes "here's for your 'not a problem.'"

:D

marfig

No ROM battery
Pretty decent of him, and let me tell you your dad sure knows how to pick his friends. People like that are to be nurtured and protected. There aren't as many as they used to be.

And congratulations, of course! Hehe. Easy money :p
As a side note that's basically how many of the current hardware houses that sell you parts and stuff actually started. Fixing computers for friends and relatives. Not an easy business these days unless you can build yourself a mass reputation that enable you to go one day from a local garage-store to a nation-wide retailer (it happens). But there's still good money in it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I can't believe the SD reader caught on fire! It had to have been faulty... how do you plug anything into the wrong port? It either fits or it doesn't.

Either way, I'm sure he's glad to finally have a good-running PC again, and one that's like 20x faster than his last one, haha. Good work man :D

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I can't believe the SD reader caught on fire! It had to have been faulty... how do you plug anything into the wrong port? It either fits or it doesn't.

Either way, I'm sure he's glad to finally have a good-running PC again, and one that's like 20x faster than his last one, haha. Good work man :D

It's not impossible to plug USB cables into firewire ports, regardless of the types involved. People still confuse the two all the time...

Now that laptops + desktops are coming out with combination eSATA + USB ports-in-one, I'm sure it won't help things any. It's real easy to plug USB ports into eSATA ports, but at least most eSATA ports are not powered...

And no kidding, that's like an 8-year upgrade in performance right there.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Huh. His son texted me today and said it's STILL running as slow as the other PC was. I'm thinking his HDD may be bad. His OS is running off of a 1.2TB WD Caviar Green, and his backup is a 500GB Seagate. Both are SATA.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Huh. His son texted me today and said it's STILL running as slow as the other PC was. I'm thinking his HDD may be bad. His OS is running off of a 1.2TB WD Caviar Green, and his backup is a 500GB Seagate. Both are SATA.

Sounds like an HDD issue for sure. You might want to install HD Tune or something and check the SMART, but if his PC became that slow not long after the build, it's likely to be the storage.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Well I get a call from my friend Austin (the guy's son) and he's all like "dad's computer isn't working again...it won't turn on...I think he plugged his printer into the wrong port--" and as son as I heard that part of the voicemail I went *FACEPALM* "He plugged it into the eSATA port and tripped a safety feature on the motherboard...."

By the time I called his dad, he had already taken his computer to my house to have my dad look at it, and by that time it had obviously been unplugged longer than 30 seconds and the cold reset had been activated already....he plugged it up and it booted right up.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Just wow. Maybe you should deactivate all the non-USB ports on his system... :eek:

I'm looking at the specs again... if the storage change doesn't fix it, rip out that PSU and get a Corsair 500w or greater unit. I've heard of Thermaltakes having issues before.

Last edited: