Building mom a Core i5 PC

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm sure I'm not alone here in having family members ask me to build them a PC on occasion. Well, just imagine how that intensifies when you have a closet lined with motherboards, power supplies, CPU coolers and so forth!

The last time I built a PC for mom was in 2007, I believe. The chassis was Thermaltake's Armor LCS - the one with water-cooling built-in. It had an Intel Bad Axe motherboard, a Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB of OCZ camo-themed RAM, a 500GB Seagate hard drive and, I believe, an 8800 GTS graphics card. At the time, this was a little overkill, but hey, it's mom we're talking about ;-)

For most of that time, the PC has served her well. She went through one GPU, two PSUs and at one point, the water-cooler died. I've been meaning to build her another PC to properly follow-up to that one, and this past weekend, that's just what I did. Once again, it's overkill for her needs, but like those who own a 4x4 to just drive around the city, she's fine with that.

I generally have certain parts lying around to help with a build, so for her, we just needed to get a chassis, SSD, new RAM and some other odds and ends. Here's the gear all laid out:

DSC_4342.jpg

In list form, that's:

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD5 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2400 Processor
Kingston 16GB HyperX 4x4GB RAM
Kingston 240GB HyperX 3K SSD
Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green
Thermaltake Jing CPU Cooler
Corsair HX1000 PSU
AMD Radeon HD 6850
Some random ODD

This is the first time I had a chance to work with a Level 10 GT, so I wanted to talk about it a little bit, because it's awesome.

DSC_4347.jpg

DSC_4350.jpg

Look at it! JUST LOOK AT IT. This thing is gorgeous! Sure, not everyone is going to like the white color, but in person it's quite impressive.

As simple as it might seem, one thing I like about the chassis is that it can be secured with the help of a key. Both the main door and these hard drive bays can be locked down so that they cannot be removed or opened. Of course, this means that you -never- want to lose the key. Fortunately, there's a clip on the back where one can be stored (defeats the purpose, but useful if there are grandbabies running around that like to get into -everything-).

DSC_4352.jpg

The cool aesthetics continues right up on up to the ODD section. Four USB 2.0 ports exist on the front along with the power/reset. Two USB 3.0 ports reside on the top, so there is a -lot- of connectivity potential here.

DSC_4353.jpg

Glamour shot of the ass-end.

DSC_4356.jpg

As I built with this chassis, I kept discovering cool little features, like this one:

DSC_4358.jpg

There are filters on the top, bottom and side that can be easily removed to clean the dust out of them.

The belly of the beast:

DSC_4359.jpg

The motherboard I chose for this build was GIGABYTE's Z68XP-UD5, which I chose for a couple of reasons. It's feature-packed, looks good and I know I can count on it to remain reliable until the next build. I still think GIGABYTE has some of the best-looking motherboards on the planet.

DSC_4360.jpg

The hard drive and SSD before going into their respective slots:

DSC_4364.jpg

Finished build in the next post!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Here's the final build:

DSC_4371_orthisone.jpg

(I've since fixed the orientation of the cooler, thanks to friends on Facebook pointing out my mistake.)

I have to admit that the build went a lot smoother than I expected. The most complicated part was figuring out the installation of the cooler (it felt like I was building a model car). Aside from that, the chassis was an absolute dream to work with, and I've since become jealous of it. I still love my 800D, but the Level 10 is a showpiece. It also has multi-color LED fans which I totally forgot about - a huge bonus.

With the Jing cooler's fan turned down to its minimum levels, the chassis is about as close to dead silent as you can get. And I'm dead serious about that. After turning on the PC, the only way I knew it actually turned on was because I saw the fans light up. As someone who loves huge chassis but minimal noise, mom was thrilled about this.

Overall, a wicked build; very happy with the result.

And... here are a couple of outtakes.

I haven't been too subtle about hating UPS, and here's more proof to pad that up. It seems that customs became suspicious of the package and ruined the black covering that protected the chassis from dust and debris. One of the top USB 3.0 ports is also bent. Now, this is customs who did this and not UPS, but I believe it to be UPS' fault because this sort of thing has never happened with FedEx. For being professional shippers, UPS sure doesn't know how to get your package from point A to point B in its original condition.

DSC_4346_outtake.jpg

When a cat likes to photobomb:

DSC_4348_outtake.jpg

Huge thanks to Jamie for editing all of the pictures here.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I gave her a couple of websites to browse for chassis, and that's the one she chose :p

Was one Thermaltake.com and the other Apevia? Just kidding atleast your mother has good taste. Not that I like the case myself, but absurd designs have their place and its a nice one.

Last edited: