Build Stork's computer.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's not a spat when it's referrering to paying 35% more money for 10% speed gain.

I apologize if I am coming off as whiny.. it's just the way I see things.

madmat

Soup Nazi
How is $50 35% of $180? That's more like, um, $65 seeing as $60 is 33% of $180.

I thought he wanted a $1500-$2000 PC not a $600-$1000 PC so I went with that in mind and the PC4000 is there for if he ever wants to test the waters with overclocking.

For WIW Drop the DFI, go with the ECS SLI board since it's already SLI for less cash, get a 3000+ and 2 gigs of the cheapest value ram you can find and 2 7800GT's and you'll have an ass kicking gaming rig for right around $1500 that offers zero overclocking ability but who cares? We've already decided for Stork that HE doesn't want to anyways!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
all im missing is some fans and a final decision on ram

Here are the winners of the parts for storks new pc

AMD 64 X2 3800

DFI lan party UT SLI-DR :)

x2 eVGA 7800

The ram is still up for debate it will be 2 gb of pc4000, either corsair or g skill

X-fi soundbaster

Those are the main parts i guess that matter for this thread anyhow... the case is going to be a clear subeam case with ample venting, and blue leds. It needs some fans though so any help would be nice!

Ty to rob and mat for teh chat tonight on AIM... really helped finalize alot. ;-p

The total cost of this rig is going to be ~ $1,884. Not including 4 fans needed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Get the G. Skill.. "Save yo money"

Same performance for $60 less and looks way cooler in my opinion.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I went with the G.Skill and with that being said I changed up a few things to the build...

Instead of getting 1 2gb dual ram package... I got 2x 2gb package... :) 4gig of ram baby!

Also I didnt get those fans I got something slightly different that im sure you will like. Ill take pictures of the monster once its done being assembled. I had it 2 day FedEx'ed so the parts should be in Tomorrow or sat. Thanks for all of your help guys ;-p

madmat

Soup Nazi
StoooooOOOOOoooooork!!!111!!!oneoneone

Man, I just went through this with the big bombastic bastich, 4 gigs won't show more than 3 in windows and depending upon the mobo it might not even alocate that much.

Not only that but some mobos won't OC at all with 4 gigs loaded on it...at all.

That A8N32-SLI Deluxe sure as hell wouldn't. It wouldn't boot at anything but 200Mhz FSB until I yanked 2 gigs out of it.

I kinda have the feeling that you'll end up selling 2 gigs or sending it back. I just wish you'd run this by me or Rob before you'd made that decision.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
unfortuatly you two are not on 24/7 support call :p

Like now for instance... windows xp pro 64?

or just regular windows xp pro?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Without question, return one of the memory sets. You have *nothing* that would take advantage of even 3GB... 2GB is more than enough.

XP Pro. I use x64 and many regular apps will not work with it, so just skip over it.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Its more worth it to me to just keep the 2 gb... returning it is too much of a hassle.

I've already decided to go with the xp pro too... Matt was going off on me about the x64 and i had already lloked into enough by them to know its just a bad deal for now. HAHA!