British riots

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I was wondering what you all think of this. I'm so disgusted with people. In relation to computers, I found it funny they wanted to shut down twitter, etc and the companies refused. Remember when Iran and Egypt did that and Britain, etc criticized it?

marfig

No ROM battery
For all purposes criminals. There's nothing in these riots about lack of jobs, police brutality or social injustices. If anything they are just demonstrating why we have governments, why police is constantly on the edge and why they can't get a decent job.

Now, don't think for a moment I'm against violence. Here's the shocker; I'm not! It can be said with a fair amount of truthfulness to it, our civilization has evolved through the act of violence. Revolutions, civil wars, rebellions, riots, war itself, while destructive forces, have often been the at the source of great things. But alas, there was no protest here. No marching of the population with a common goal that eventually lead to violent disturbances. A situation that could, in some way, legitimated violence. It would be, of course, left to be seen exactly what type of violence and what exactly would these people be protesting about. Rampaging against police stations or governmental institutions would represent the form of protest that could indeed signify a true feeling of injustice by the rioters. Destroying historic buildings, the livelihood of middle and lower classes, robbing injured people on the street, ransacking, does not. It's just a repeat of the Paris riots, some years before.

As for social networks... I wouldn't go as far as compare governmental position in Iran and Egypt with Britain. The first two were true population revolts with a well marked political motivation. That's the type of protest where I can see violence being legitimated. Our democracies were built this way (and have evolved this way). In London there's just and only criminal behavior being -- apparently -- organized through social networks. Certainly I agree these shouldn't close. But if, and ONLY if, these companies cooperate with authorities in catching the perpetrators. This can become a very dangerous world otherwise.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I've been keeping tabs on this and a peaceful protest by family and friends of the man who was shot held a peaceful rally. Then all the goons come out of nowhere and set this all off.

Sure, the guy who was shot may not have been the most upstanding of people but do you think the family wants this horseshit associated with something that is already so devastating? Nuh uh!

It's a bunch of young punks who don't know how to do something constructive to draw attention to deeper problems. Instead the turn into hooligans and only hurt themselves in the processes...well, ok, others but they aren't do anything to help themselves.

At least it isn't spurred on by a hockey game.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
PM Cameron seems to agree. But what to do about this hooliganism? It's not just in Britain. Kids are growing up to have no empathy, no respect, no decency.

The people in those videos you posted, the perps, are just acting like animals like you said. I feel ashamed to be a member of the human race. Nothing new.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
p05mG.gif

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Shut down twitter eh? There was an Ars Technica article that pointed out a large majority of the rioters have turned to using BBM, the blackberry messaging network to organize the riots, raids, and looting. Since it is encrypted and sent phone to phone, and Blackberry's are becoming rather cheap over there many people have one instead of a fully featured smartphone. Having a $5 unlimited Blackberry mail & messaging service helps too I guess.

I think the entire thing is stupid.. people are angry and this gives them a way to vent their anger. Other people hate the government and see this as a way to vent and retaliate against it. Still, many others see this as an opportunity, ie looting. And still many others are just youths that enjoy the power they have to cause violence and destruction, and while some even believe their own base rhetoric I suspect many are just taking the opportunity to exercise their newfound power. What's so freaking stupid is the only people they all hurt are other innocent people, and they are too blind and ignorant to see that.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Riot in progress? Get the EMP ready!

I'm terrified to put my kid in school because he'll have to deal with the next generation of little shits who think they can do whatever they want to whoever or whatever they want.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
It seems like we're going backwards. As our civilization progresses technologically, it is also regressing socially.

Gee, ya think? :D

Technology makes us feel more connected but in fact many people are becomming less and less able to deal with others face to face because of it... Toss in video games where the only problem solving skill necessary is violence... then add in a whole generation of "me first"... guess what you get: selfish little twits with no clue how to get along with others.

We may be communicating more than ever... but we are also building a "city of a thousand islands" wherin we are all increasingly isolated.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
City of a thousand islands ... Exactly! By the way, have you ever seen people communicating via computer when they are in the same small room? All we need is a way to get our brains hooked up to the Internetz, and we'll be set. We'll never have to use our interpersonal skills again.

Last edited: