Borderlands still exciting

marfig

No ROM battery
I'm replaying borderlands after a 7 month hiatus. During that time I also lost my savegame files due to a bad backup schema I had in place when I upgraded to my current machine, so I'm also trying to rebuild a bit of its former glory; 5 builds, 4 different classes, all above level 60. I don't think I will go that far anymore. But will try to get at least two of my favorite characters (Lilith and Roland). Although frankly I love them all.

Next month Borderlands will make 2 years since its release (congratulations!) and as I'm going through this playthrough I just don't cease to be amazed at how up-to-date this game looks and how modern its gameplay still is. Borderlands could have been released today and none would be the wiser. The artistic decisions in the game greatly contributed to make this a title that will cross over the barrier of time. It's a fun fact of this game that it wasn't meant to look like this. We were all supposed to be getting a Fallout 3 look-alike. Screenshots were even made public. It was almost by accident, but also the sign of an inspirational vision, that cel-shading would be a better solution. The decision to use the game concept art, instead of deriving from it was pretty much a radical notion (and still is) for an AAA title. The result is a game that will never look old. Kudos!

The gameplay itself is still superb. The fluidity of controls, the overly high jumps, the weapon system, the RPG elements, the expansive areas, the intelligent humor, all contribute to a game experience that frankly hasn't been seen on FPS for a very, very long time, and we haven't seen since. And in a time we are talking about Hard Reset going back to origins, we must not forget that Borderlands, under the cover of a RPG hybrid, is pretty much a throwback to dumb and fun FPS with a forgetful story but with unforgettable characters and gameplay.

In fact, as I look once more at the poor Metacritic score this game had, I'm pretty much convinced this is one of those games which true global appreciation will only come with time, and no doubt it has a plaque waiting for it that will put among the Classics.

So, I've been playing Borderlands again and enjoying it as if it was the first time. As I am moving to Steam (I'm a slowpoke, I know) my only regret is not having bought it for the platform back then. This may be hard to believe, but the game still requires today the DVD to start (shame!). This Friday I sent an email to 2K begging them to remove this requirement on an upcoming patch. It's just plain ridiculous that this limitation is still there.

Anyways, as I said I've been having lots of fun playing it again. But as I do, it just keeps confirming how important and substantial the DLCs for this game where. I also own all the DLCs (and bough the Scooters tee from borderlands online store once, which I admit was a bit nerdy of me). The game by itself is a blast. Rock solid fun. But the DLCs improve the experience by adding good quality playtime. Heck, it's not everyday that we see a DLC for ANY game out there, introduce memorable new characters and experiences. The Island of Dr. Ned is possible the best DLC ever published, while Knoxx introduces my favorite depressive character of all times. Claptrap has possible the least interesting ending. But the whole DLC is otherwise absolutely top notch, with one of the best multiplayer maps (at least where I had the most fun) of the whole game; Hyperion Dump. And Moxxi's makes for one of the most fun co-op experiences I've experienced for a while, with a very good scaling algorithm that makes it even enjoyable by single-players.

Seeing the work gone into Borderlands DLCs, the vast majority of games pale in comparison. So also here Gearbox and 2K where revolutionary. Everything about Borderlands looks and feels like a work of love. Love for the games and love for the customers. So happy birthday Borderlands. And thank you for still being fun 2 years later. And good luck for Borderlands 2. I just hope it's as good or better than Borderlands ever was.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I tried to start my second playthrough, but it glitched and I can't go anywhere and activate anything. I'm stuck at the beginning where it says to talk to claptrap, but I can't get to him because I got stuck in a later part of the level.

marfig

No ROM battery
Could you describe the problem a bit better, CS? I'm not following... You mean stuck as in clip-stuck?

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
No, I mean I selected Playthrough 2. I spawned at Tartaurus Station, then I traveled back to where the story takes place, and when I spawn in the Arid Badlands (I think that's it..may have the name wrong), I spawn in town right in front of the Doc's office, with no objective indicator or anything. The quest to talk to claptrap at the bus is already activated, but there's no way I can get to where he is. Enemies spawned, then I killed them and the voice (forgot her name lol) says thanks for saving the town and tells me to get going...then nothing. I can't go anywhere and I'm stuck in the town. Can't teleport anywhere either.

marfig

No ROM battery
Oh crap! Something must have gone bad with your savegame. If you completed Playthrough 1 (P1), Playthrough 2 (P2) should spawn you at the bus station if memory serves me right. Never on Tartarus Station.

On the other hand, did you finish Claptrap's New Robot Revolution on P1? Because once you kill the Destroyer on P1 and you haven't finished a DLC, you still see P2 on the character load screen, but you can still keep playing P1 and finish those DLCs. It never occurred to me to do this. I always complete the DLCs before killing the Destroyer, except for Knoxx Armory. So I don't know if the reason you spawn on Tartarus Station is because this was your last spawn point on P1 and yet the DLC wasn't finished before you moved to P2.

You might want to try this:

1. Start P1 and check your objectives to make sure that none is active (all main game quests are done and the Destroyer is killed).

Optional: You can also check you completed the DLCs if you want by checking the last mission is done with the help of the Borderlands wiki and looking for the last mission on your mission roster. But this isn't strictly necessary since I'm pretty sure you can ignore the DLCs when moving to P2.

2. Go to Fyrestone, in Arid Badlands, and exit the game from there.

3. Start the game again, still in P1. This is just a precaution to make sure you have a clean savegame. May not be necessary, but I personally like to cover my bases.

4. Exit the game again and this time start it in P2. See what happens.

Also you may want to reapply patch 1.4.1 just in case.

marfig

No ROM battery
Glad it did. I was shooting in the dark to be honest and wasn't sure what went wrong in there. But it doesn't matter anymore :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Great write-up, marfig! I couldn't agree more... this game is a masterpiece. I've been craving playing it lately despite having completed my second playthrough just about two months ago. The humor, the ultra-fluid controls, the graphics and fun environments, all the action... the game is just full of win.

DLC-wise, Knoxx was my favorite. It was the longest of them all, and all the driving was a blast. Ned comes up second for me though, because it was so well done, and despite zombie games being a dime a dozen, Borderlands managed to do it better than most. The Claptrap DLC was also a lot of fun, but DLC #2 did nothing for me whatsoever. It's strange to have three wicked DLCs and then one that almost no one cared for.

It is funny, though, that a lot of the DLC took a lot longer to beat than some full games nowadays =/

I just hope that Borderlands 2 lives up to all we're hoping it to be. I'd generally say it's not easy to follow-up to a masterpiece like this, but Gearbox has proven that they can, given all of the good DLC that came out after the game.

marfig said:
As I am moving to Steam (I'm a slowpoke, I know) my only regret is not having bought it for the platform back then.

The game and all of its DLC regularly goes on sale for something like $7.50, so that might be something to keep an eye out for.