Blizzard 'Looking into' Bringing WoW to iPhone

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you a World of Warcraft player? Are you a World of Warcraft player who spontaneously twitches when not in front of the game? If you answered "yes" to either of those, and especially the latter, good news: it seems hopeful that Blizzard will be bringing World of Warcraft to the iPhone. Well, to be more accurate, the company is "looking into" it.

world_of_warcraft_mobile_031512.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
I'm not sure it would be possible to see a full 3D MMO on modern smartphones. It eventually has to be a stripped version of the original game, like so many other conversions. Less features, less graphical requirements, much simplified UI (which also comes as a consequence of the reduction of features), much less memory requirements, completely revised controls system, etc.

In the end the game ends up becoming unrecognizable, other than for the logo and the knowledge we are playing WoW on a smartphone.

That said, the idea of MMOs taking on to cellphones is one that -- as much as I hate saying it -- can be explored to its fullest potential. The market is still potentially small compared to PC and console owners. But a company will be expanding their MMOs into another platform, which is always a good way to increase revenue. Especially when it only involves a fraction of the production costs behind a full-blown PC or console version.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Tried WoW after SWTOR! Hated it! Bringing it to mobile is just pure money making strategy! As if what they r currently making is not enough! :D

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Tried WoW after SWTOR! Hated it! Bringing it to mobile is just pure money making strategy! As if what they r currently making is not enough! :D

*scratches head*

Isn't it kinda their job to make a product, and then sell it? :)

I mean, it'll probably be crap, but come on. Anyone expecting they're gonna get WOW running perfectly on a tiny phone client needs a head examination to begin with...so hey, caveat emptor!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
*scratches head*

Isn't it kinda their job to make a product, and then sell it? :)

I mean, it'll probably be crap, but come on. Anyone expecting they're gonna get WOW running perfectly on a tiny phone client needs a head examination to begin with...so hey, caveat emptor!
True that! :D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
One thing I'm wondering is... is wireless tech good enough where playing an MMO is going to be reliable? I have friends who are on satellite Internet and get booted quite often - would 3G or 4G be a lot more reliable?

It just seems to me that being wireless all the time isn't going to be ideal. I don't even like gaming on a wireless network in general.