Bfg Pci-e 6800 Gt Oc 256mb

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are looking to upgrade your video card, there are so many options available. We are going to take a look at one of BFG Tech's top PCI-E cards, the 6800 GT OC. How did it make out in our tests? Is the card worth it, with the next gen on the way?

bfg_6800gtoc_pcie_icon.jpg

After reading the review here, feel free to discuss it here! Disagree with something I said? Corrections? Comments? Flames? Postem!

M

madmat.voidedwarranty.com

Very polished review Rob, Personally I'd have done the graphs a wee bit different but, heck, I can't even do graphs so who am I to talk.

I'm pretty disapointed in the temps your card gave you and I'm interested to see the type of feedback you obtain from your reader base, I still am pretty certain that it's the weak alloy cooler on that GPU causing the problem but, time will tell as they say.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Nice review man... (you fail to finish a thought in one of your sentances when you use the () to set off an interjecting thought though)

As for the card...

Im not sure if it is really worth buying at all... With the temp problems. (nice job with the games proping up the fan inside the case btw, SONIC!) If your's was just faulty then maybe it wouldnt be so bad...

As is though the industry seems to be going into a huge transition with software/hardware. Is buying anything graphically related really going to be worth it untill this typhoon of "next gen" hit us?

And would buying this card make NCsoft suck any less? Will it do my taxes? Will it make me "kewl" ?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Madmat, thanks man. I think I agree with you on the cooler.. it just may be junk. The BFG Ultras have the dual slot cooler, and I haven't heard any complaints from anyone with any of those.

Madstork, Heh, gotta love Sonic! THPS as well.

Is buying anything graphically realted really going to be worth it untill this typhoon of "next gen" hit us?

That's the tight spot. With the 7800GTX coming out in under two weeks, it's hard to say whether that will effect 6*** prices at all. Chances are, the 7800GTX will be so expensive, that it just won't affect anything under it.

Technically, I don't think you could go wrong with buying one now, but I personally wouldn't take the chance. Once the R520 and other 7*** cards come out, then the 6*** will decrease in price.

Isn't technology great?

M

madmat.voidedwarranty.com

If you can find a righteous deal on a 6800GT be it used new or refurb then I vote go for it but if you're wanting to upgrade and all you can find are cards at about the same price levels ($380 or so) then you'd be a fool not to wait a month and save a hundred bucks or so. $50 at the very least. I know the prices on the current gen stuff will do exactly like the FX's did, hold tight for about 2 weeks then start dropping like stones once the availability was able to overcome the demand for the 6800's.

The same thing's going to happen again, the 7xxx's will sell like crazy, be higher than hell and be in short supply for 2-3 weeks, after that the hysteria will die down, the prices will drop and when they start approaching the cost of the 6800U's and Gt's those cards will plummet in price just like the 9800's, 5950's and more recently the X800Pros did.

It might take a month or so but it'll happen and not only that the 6xxx series cards will become plentiful in the side markets such as forums and auctions.

T

tmslaw

BFG 6088 GT OC fails in SLI

I just configured a custom system with Monarch Computers. Asus deluxe SLi board; AMD 3500 and BFG 6800 GT OC. They informed me that the BFG card fails in SLI and recommeded evga.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow..

I remember a few weeks ago, BFGtech.com had a deal where you could buy 2 of these cards for an SLi setup too. And here they don't even work =/

madmat

Soup Nazi
Just because Monarch says they don't work I wouldn't believe it, if the box says SLI on it then it's been tested and conforms to the SLI standard set by nV. Who knows, when he configured his rig Monarch might have only had 1 BFG in and a buttload of eVGA or got the eVGA's at a tidy discount that they weren't passing along.

I worked in a computer shop and after that I know that they'll come up with all kinds of b.s. to sell a particular product when it suits them.