Battlefield 3 & Diablo III Betas On the Horizon

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For Battlefield 3 and Diablo III fans, there's some important information floating around that you will want to pay attention to. On the BF3 front, it's been announced that the game will be going into an open beta period on September 29, while a closed beta for those previously accepted will happen on the 27th.

diablo_iii_092111.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Went to my Battle.net account (which admittedly I didn't for at least an year) and despite my listed 3 copies of Diablo II and LoD registered there, being registered on the Diablo Universe beta program since forever, Blizzard didn't think me worth enough to send me their D3 beta.

Will wait for the demo. But this company is becoming more annoying by the minute.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Went to my Battle.net account (which admittedly I didn't for at least an year) and despite my listed 3 copies of Diablo II and LoD registered there, being registered on the Diablo Universe beta program since forever, Blizzard didn't think me worth enough to send me their D3 beta.

Will wait for the demo. But this company is becoming more annoying by the minute.
i have already started hating em for the 'always online' aka MMO crapp they pulled with Diablo III! :mad:

marfig

No ROM battery
and the real money REQUIRED for all auction house transactions. fuck that game!

I actually have mixed opinions about that one. This is something really worth of debating, I think. We should do it sometime. The introduction of official channels for game items transactions with real money can impact greatly what it means to be a gamer in the upcoming years. But generally speaking, I see good and bad in it. And I'm afraid this isn't exactly a push being made by the industry. It's the actual gamers that have been slowly pushing this into the gaming industry well since the MUD days in 80s and late 90s where you would already see this hidden activity and the thriving black markets it would generate on the more popular games.

I wish Torchlight 2 has a better story n characters. That way it would be sooo much cooler! :)

I confess the first game didn't get into me as much I would have liked. Everything is in there, sort of. But I took issue with the highly children-comics influenced art direction and some game design decisions that I felt didn't provide with Torchlight with such a rich RPG experience as Diablo did. I also felt the game items and item generation routines made them too generic and not so much appealing to the collectors.

The developers certainly wanted it to be a different game. Not exactly another Diablo clone. But the blame is probably all on me. Diablo I and especially II had such an impact on me that I probably lost any ability to objectively look at another similar game without wanting it to be a diablo look-a-like. The only other diablo-like game that got totally me hooked on was this little pearl known as Titan Quest.

So I'm not very much excited about Torchlight 2. Which may actually be a good thing. There's been a trend lately in which I've been growing utterly excited about upcoming releases and invariably end up crying on the pillow. Elemental: War of Magic was the latest sweetheart to crush my heart and throw it to the gutter. Such was my disappointment. Who knows, not expecting much from Torchlight will reveal itself as a nice surprise.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I actually have mixed opinions about that one. This is something really worth of debating, I think. We should do it sometime. The introduction of official channels for game items transactions with real money can impact greatly what it means to be a gamer in the upcoming years. But generally speaking, I see good and bad in it. And I'm afraid this isn't exactly a push being made by the industry. It's the actual gamers that have been slowly pushing this into the gaming industry well since the MUD days in 80s and late 90s where you would already see this hidden activity and the thriving black markets it would generate on the more popular games.

I don't. I have a limited income (with almost no way to change but I am working on it) therefore the money that I do have is used up when I do get it, it takes me months or longer to get the things I want. In a game I should be able to devote some measure of time to earn it's currency and thus not touch the precious amount I have in my account. I agree you should use real world cash to buy dlc and other items out of game, however this play to make us use our own cash smells of them trying to use it to make more money off of each transaction so therefore people don't feel like it's an mmo and has a monthly attached fee. This is backed up by the fact they will be using Paypal for all transactions, which is a fee based business, plain and simple. There is no room for debate for me and honestly I can't see why there is even room for it, but I quit trying to make sense of the world years ago. Carry on with it if that's what you wish.

marfig

No ROM battery
You do realize that this auction things is just for anyone wanting to have items without working hard for them, don't you? You can still do what you want to do and not ever once go there. You can play the game and get those items yourself. I'm not sure I see your point.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Yes, I do realize. My point no GAME should ever use my real world money for in game currency for any reason. Auction house or not. There is no REASON but to make more money from their customers, it's hidden fees and etc nothing more. Making it nothing more than a scam my mind.

marfig

No ROM battery
I sort of agree with you. But considering the millionaire liquid profits of gaming studios and publishers, I'd say the biggest scam is in game pricing. Don't see you complaining about that :p

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
The developers certainly wanted it to be a different game. Not exactly another Diablo clone. But the blame is probably all on me. Diablo I and especially II had such an impact on me that I probably lost any ability to objectively look at another similar game without wanting it to be a diablo look-a-like. The only other diablo-like game that got totally me hooked on was this little pearl known as Titan Quest.

So I'm not very much excited about Torchlight 2. Which may actually be a good thing. There's been a trend lately in which I've been growing utterly excited about upcoming releases and invariably end up crying on the pillow. Elemental: War of Magic was the latest sweetheart to crush my heart and throw it to the gutter. Such was my disappointment. Who knows, not expecting much from Torchlight will reveal itself as a nice surprise.
u and me both! :(