Barcelona, NOT looking that Good!

MacMan

Partition Master
Barcelona is not looking so good after all, according to the British site, The Inquirer!

AMD reported and bragged that a Barcelona, 16-core 4S system, recently benched in at just little bit over 4000 on a POV benchmark. Impressive indeed, or is it?

However, when you take a second look, it really doesn't look that good when compared with a production Intel Blackford/Clovertown V8 system, with only 8-cores. It easily scored a recent benchmark of almost 5,000!

Clearly, as the Inquirer reported, AMD still has a long way to go if they are going to keep up with Intel!

What do you think, can AMD ever really get back in the game with Intel? Personally, I'm not sure, but I'm beginning to have my doubts?

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39896

Shadin

Obliviot
Honestly, I don't think any of those articles give enough detailed information to really make any viable conclusions. Then again, welcome to The Inquirer.

NicePants42

Partition Master
While I agree with Shadin, I also have doubts about AMDs ability to get back in the game. Regardless of the Barcelona issue, ATI forgot to include HD video decode support for the HD 2900XT (although it sounds like it could be solved with updated drivers), and then there's that whole thing about the Intel Q6600 dropping to $266 on 7/22/07. I find it extremely unlikely that AMD is going to be able to compete with a $266 2.4Ghz quad core (that overclocks extremely well) on a performance/$ basis. I'd freakin' love it if they manage to pull it off, but I just can't see it.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
AMD had nothing to do with the ATI fiasco of the 2900XT since it was already well into development when AMD bought them.

As for BArcelona, we have to wait and see. I would never give the inquirer ANY weight when it comes to reporting the truth. It also remains to be seen if Intel actually does another price drop. Way too much speculation here.........

NicePants42

Partition Master
AMD had nothing to do with the ATI fiasco of the 2900XT since it was already well into development when AMD bought them.
That doesn't change the fact that it's AMD's problem now...

As for BArcelona, we have to wait and see. I would never give the inquirer ANY weight when it comes to reporting the truth. It also remains to be seen if Intel actually does another price drop. Way too much speculation here.........
Here's some Barcelona news - get ready to be surprised - it's not good.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I know one thing. Don't expect Intel to price cut if AMD is not releasing anything. They don't need to and they won't. Besides, that $266 price you see floating around on the web is the price OEM's will pay per 1000 units, not the retail price.

As far as that article, it really says little and proves nothing. I am not saying AMD is looking good by any means since I doubt we'll see Barcelona any time soon, but that article is hardly worth giving any weight to at all.

I am not surprised that AMD is still struggling. They probably will for some time. But man, it is just stupid how people forget that Intel struggled for years with Netburst before they could topple little ole AMD. All this doom and gloom crap is stupid.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I know one thing. Don't expect Intel to price cut if AMD is not releasing anything. They don't need to and they won't. Besides, that $266 price you see floating around on the web is the price OEM's will pay per 1000 units, not the retail price.
I'm aware of the price per 1000, and I think Intel will issue the price cuts.

As far as that article, it really says little and proves nothing. I am not saying AMD is looking good by any means since I doubt we'll see Barcelona any time soon, but that article is hardly worth giving any weight to at all.
Again I disagree. I think this article pretty much covers the relevant conclusions.

I am not surprised that AMD is still struggling. They probably will for some time. But man, it is just stupid how people forget that Intel struggled for years with Netburst before they could topple little ole AMD. All this doom and gloom crap is stupid.
While I understand where you're coming from here, comparing an Intel fiasco with an AMD fiasco of equal severity and duration will show that Intel suffers much less than AMD, because Intel has money (and marketshare) while AMD doesn't. Intel never had to 'topple' anyone in terms of sales revenue, and a single failed architecture won't sink them. AMD is on a completely different playing field, and have just about reached the limit on the amount of debt they can accrue. Financially, the doom and gloom is appropriate.

EDIT: AMD's debt mounting fast.
Dailytech said:
Nicholas Aberle, Senior Vice President of Equity Research, Caris Company, states, "AMD is still spending a good clip. Without borrowing the company could run out of cash by late Q3, early Q4." Arberle adds, "[AMD] needed to raise capital just to keep the doors open."

Last edited: