Aurora Concept Browser Brings Internet Use to New Level

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Let's face it, as perfect as the web browser seems to be right now, it hasn't changed that much since the first browsers of the mid-90s. What does our current browsers lack? Well, a high-tech interface and extremely-refined collaboration tools, of course, two things that the concept browser 'Aurora' by Adaptive Path delivers.

To better show-off what the concept is (or will be) capable of is explained in a few videos found on the Adaptive Path website, with two parts currently being online, and another two en route. I haven't watched the second part, but I feel the first one informed me well enough. Aurora will be akin to interfaces we are used to seeing in high-tech movies, with clean design, incredibly intuitive and predictive interfaces and one that makes lots of advanced bleeps and bloops.

One example in the first video shows off the potential collaboration aspects of the browser. Two people are conversing, one says the rain isn't bad while the other says it is. The guy on the other end essentially taps into the browser and shows the person exactly where it was that it said lots of rain was on the way. It's definitely interesting, and if that intriques you, then the other videos are sure to please. The concepts right now seem far-fetched, but we didn't imagine how things would have been today just ten years ago, either. Anything is possible.

aurora_concept_browser_080708.jpg

The release of Aurora is part of the launch of Mozilla Labs’ browser concept series, an ongoing initiative to encourage designers and developers to contribute their own visions of the future of the browser and the Web. Over the next couple of weeks, we’ll be releasing more video segments, as well as background material showing just what went into imagining the future of the Web and translating that into a video.

Source: Adaptive Path's Aurora Concept

These mockups seem silly and difficult to use. All of these tools are already available, the only new thing we're seeing here is the interface.

Want to communicate? IM, Skype, Twitter, email.
Want to collaborate? Google Docs, LogMeIn, Go To Meeting.
Want to organize? Bookmarks, delicious.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Of course, but the idea behind Aurora is to piece everything together, to make your computing experience a streamlined one. It does look complicated, I admit, but anything would be at first. It might very-well be easier after a while.

What would drive me bonkers are the stupid sound effects for every, single action to make. But that's a small issue, since audio can always be turned off.

We'll see where it goes, if anywhere.